Thread: Any good MILD salsa recipes out there????

Question Any good MILD salsa recipes out there????

Hi All -

I've ALWAYS been sensitive to spicy foods so have only ever eaten the mild varieties of store bought salsas, but now the mild versions are tasting hot to me so I figure it is time to start making my own. Anyone have any good recipes or ideas? As I'm not sure what would be a good combination??? I do have a food processor - would that be the best thing to use? Or chop and mix by hand? I'm hopeless so any and all help is appreciated!

Hey Lilprecious.
    Offhand, most salsas have tomato, onion, capsicum..
    Let me go look in one of my books for something more specific...
    500g fresh tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 onion, diced
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon cloves, ground
    1 teaspoon mustard (powder) or dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    pinch cayenne pepper

Saute onions with cayenne, mustard and cloves.
    Add tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, cook for 20 minutes. Let cool.
    Add tomato paste for colour just before serving.

For you, I would maybe only use half a teaspoon of mustard powder, and perhaps omit the cayenne pepper.
    That's what the recipe says (from The Body Shop cookbook), but I would probably substitute the vinegar for lemon juice (or at least some of it), and also add in some rough chopped flat leaf parsley and basil, and some parmesan (omitting the cloves).
    But I would also add in chilli, cos I really like hot food. And maybe some chopped green capsicum for extra colour.
    For bruschetta when I make that, from memory all I put in it is chopped tomatoes, small amount of that purple chopped onion, and green capsicum, along with chilli, parmesan and basil. Spoon over thick sliced crusty toasted bread spread with basil pesto.
    Mmm, now I am hungry.
    Let me know how you go!

I make a really mild mango salsa. Its dead easy.
    Just chop up a mango into cubes and put it in a bowl. Then deseed a tomatoe or 2 and chop it up and put it in the bowl. Then shred some fresh basil and toss it in. Add some castor sugar, salt, pepper and a splash of baslamic vinegar and a splosh of ovile oil. Stir it all up. Let it sit ofr a while then eat it up.
    You could make a mild avocado salsa if you just chopped it up into cubes and added some diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, lime or lemon juice and maybe some chives and fresh coriander.