Thread: Best brand of Soy milk?

Default Best brand of Soy milk?

I am not technically lactose intolerant (well I don't think - is there some way to have that tested?) but have always had a few 'issues' with dairy. In the last few months it's gotten quite bad. If I have too much dairy I pay for it big time.

So, I've decided to switch to soy milk because milk is one of the things I can't cut out all together - I've decided on the advice of my acupuncturist to try to stick to plain yoghurt and soy milk.

Last night I just brought the coles brand soy milk. I had some in my milo and it tasted fine. I had some on my cereal just now and hmmmm, I dunno! It'll probably take some getting used to do you think?

What brand do you buy?

I started drinking soy a couple of weeks ago to see if Natalie was sensitive to cows milk protein. I don't think she's sensitive as it didn't make a difference to her crying patterns, but it made me feel heaps better It was less heavy in my tummy or something...
    Anyway, I've only tried Vitasoy Soy Milky, in full cream and lite. I'm going to keep going with the lite one. It tastes so totally different though - kind of nutty, don't you think? I'm still getting used to it, though I quite like the flavour - just get a surprise when I drink it because I'm not expecting it, KWIM?

We also get the Vitasoy brand. Sometime So Good grand if its on special! I dont mind either, but I've noticed it seems to curdle more when you use it in cooking.

Sanitarium So Good is a bit on the more epensive side but is the most delicious. I cant drink normal milk so I have drunk soy for years.

Everytime I try a different brand, I am always dissappointed in the taste. And NEVER try home brands. yuck!

eta: the soy good fat free is actually the best tasting one. Its the red carton

I can't remember the brand I love... it's an organic brand from the supermarket... Ummm... "Australia's Own" made by Pure Harvest I think that's it.

Tanya

OK, thanks girls! I thought So Good was the best but it is expensive compared to the others.

Tanya, I'll look out for that brand next time too.

It did taste nutty, but kinda thick too? I got the full fat one, I usually drink low fat or skim milk so maybe I'd be better off with the low fat soy too.

Danni - are you lactose intolerant? Do you know if you can be tested for it? Or do they just do an elimination diet and see how you go?

i can eat minimal diary but there are some things i cannot eat without immediate diarrhoea: cream, milk, yoghurt and melted cheese sauce

i was never tested as i have an immediate reaction

hth

Yep, it does, thanks. I'm the same with cream and full cream milk (a little bit of milk is OK, but too much and I'm in trouble).

It's awful hey? I can't believe it's taken me this long to make the connection My acupuncturist pointed it out to me by looking at my tongue (I dunno how this works, but he was right!) He said my body just doesn't digest it or metabolise dairy well at all.

Yep my naturopath could see from my eyes and my tongue too

So good apparently is made with Soy extract not Soya Beans. We get Vitasoy which uses whole organic Soya beans.

We use Vitasoy in the red box, Austraia's Own malt free for gluten free periods and if I'm feeling flush, Bonsoy. This is the yummiest but quite expensive.