Thread: Coconut Rice... mmmm

Cool Coconut Rice... mmmm

What's the secret to making a really yummy creamy Coconut Rice? I got a recipe off the internet the other day and made the rice with a tin of coconut milk like it said, added the water etc and it was so fluffy and beautiful however the flavour wasn't as 'creamy/coconut' as I'd hoped!!
    I was making an indian dish!

Can i use Coconut Cream instead of Coconut Milk?? Anyone got a great recipe to share with me please?

Never heard of it, but it sounds really interesting! Can you post your recipe as well Ren?

Sure! Here's mine.....(it originates from Indonesia) also Thai meals

Ingredients (serves 4)
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 1/4 cups jasmine or long-grain rice
    Method
    Place water and coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
    Add the rice, return to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and stir well.
    Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain and fluff with a fork.

** I just wonder if there is a way to make it where it tastes creamier!!! (I use Basmati Rice)
    Last edited by Shanti; March 7th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

I would think you could substitute coconut cream for the milk to make it creamier, you might just need a touch more water because it's thicker...

yeah i might try the cream instead of the milk next time... I'm just thinking it might make it 'cluggy' though?

I've heard that the secret is to cook the rice as per usual, let it cool and then add the coconut milk/cream! (and that was from a Thai girl!!)
    I haven't tried it myself, so let me know if you give it a go!

ah! Thanks sneaky, i'll give that a go next time! I would think though if the rice is cooled, it would be hard for the coconut milk to be absorbed into it? Or maybe not.... I'll have to try it!

oh I should add that you do have to put it back on the heat! It does make it sticky, but I think thats how its sposed to be?! Good luck!

Thanks heaps
    To avoid sticky rice, I recently read that before even heating it up, you run it under tap water first to separate the rice and takes excess 'starch' off it which is what usually will make it sticky after heating it!