Thread: coleslaw - HELP

mooshie Guest

Default coleslaw - HELP

hi i need some help lol

i am ashamed to admit that i have NEVER made coleslaw, i make all my other salads, potato, pasta, rice blah blah blah but for some reason never coleslaw.

i went and brought some praise coleslaw dressing today but i don't have a recepie for coleslaw, so putting the call out there, i need a nice easy yummy coleslaw recepie.

and i need it soon pmsl, i want to get all the salads done before i go to do the school pick up

thanks

Mine's pretty basic -

cabbage, sliced
    3 carrots, chopped finely
    1 small onion, chopped finely
    1 green capsicum, chopped finely
    coleslaw dressing

Mix all vegetables in a mixing bowl.
    Add coleslaw dressing until everything is coated.

I'd never made it before either Michelle, until recently. We were going to a good friends for a BBQ and i asked her what she wanted me to bring and she said 'coleslaw'. I told her i had absolutely no idea how to make it, but her's was yummo, so she told me how and i could believe how easy it was....

couple of handfuls of shredded cabbage
    1-2 large carrotts - i do one, toss it through the cabbage and then figure if i need another..
    1/2 large (or 1 small) red onion - finely sliced
    Handful of grated cheese
    dollop of 'praise' mayo - you could use any, but i like praise
    good sprinkle of 'seasonall' spice mix
    sprinkle of smoked paprika (she didn't use this, but i was addicted so added it)

Just combine the cabbage, carrot, onion and cheese in a bowl. In a small bowl combine the mayo, seasonall and paprika and Salt&pepper and mix well. Have a taste to make sure it's not too overpowered by the spices, and adjust if necessary with Mayo and more spices. Just before serving, mix through the mayo, a little at a time until you have the desired consistancy of dressing through the salad...

As stated, my friend didn't put in smoked paprika, but coz i was so in love with it at the moment i couldn't help myself, and she actually said to me that she could tell there was something else in it and that it was sooo yummy....

I love coleslaw yummo,

I am a cheat hehehe

I buy a large bag ( or a small one depending on how many people ) of the pre cut coleslaw mix in the vegie/fresh food department at the woolworths or coles and then add 1 bottle of praise and about a cup of cheese I sometimes add a little more dressing depending on if it has enough as I lurve heaps of dressing LOL and I tell you what it is so nice obviously not very diet friendly but really how often do you eat it ( thats my excuse anyway hehehehe )
    Last edited by *Elle*; February 5th, 2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling LOL

Oh, ditto to all of the above but the secret ingredient is you add a tiny bit of crushed pineapple or some pineapple juice and it gives it a nice tangy sweetness!

My secret is pineapple and sweet corn...

ooooo have never thought to add those will give that a go yummy

I always add an apple all chopped up.........

my mum says a bit of caster sugar never goes astray
    sour cream mixed with the mayo works well too.....

cabbage
    carrot
    cheese
    egg
    mayo mixed with sour cream

I have been buying the premade coleslaw bags as cabbage is so expensive then I just add egg, cheese and my mayo to it

I have been buying the premade coleslaw bags
    Me too.......the "dry-slaw"........it always seems to be on special late in the day.....I usually pick up a bag for 99c and then make the coleslaw up with a tablespoon of vinegar in the the mayo/coleslaw dressing, and then it keeps in a Tupperware all week, and I can use it in with salads/in sandwhiches all week........

mooshie Guest

thanks everyone

i ended up doing cabbage, carrot, celery, red capsicum and a bit of apple. then poured over some premade coleslaw dressing - was very very yummy.

that does sound yummy I am glad it worked out for you