Thread: cooking pasta in the microwave?

Cool cooking pasta in the microwave?

Any hints? I just can't get it right. Apparently this pasta takes 14 mins to cook on the stovetop, so I've been putting the water in the microwave to the boil, adding the pasta and then cooking for the 14 mins, but its overcooked.

I've got to say, I just wouldn't ever do pasta in the microwave, it just seems...wrong! LOL Good luck getting the formula right!

I have cooked those packet pasta things in the microwave and I find it never takes a long as on the stove top.

I think the last one I made said to cook it for 8 mins in the microwave. I put all the ingredients in at once and cook the whole thing at the same time, rather than cooking the water first then adding the pasta.

sorry, i hope that helps somewhat..

I cook rice and pasta in the microwave alll the time. My best hint is to use a large round container so the pasta isn't stacked up too high. My container is atleast 20cm round. My microwave is 1200w and using cold water on the pasta I then cook it for 20 mins. This gets the water boiling. I tend to stop the cooking halfway and give it a good stir. Watch to see if the water is boiling and to check that the water isn't boiling away either. For rice I add enough water to reach abt 1.5/2cm above the rice and by the time the rice is cooked there is no water left. To avoid cluggy or sticky rice make sure you rinse it under water to get rid of the starch - when the water goes clear. Hope all of this helps.

DH usually puts 2 cups of pasta in with about 3 cups of water and cooks for 10 mins and then does a couple of extra mins after that if it needs it. I guess it will depend on the power of your machine too.

Thanks ladies