Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking Tips & Cheats

When making homemade pizzas (we made some tonight... I LOVE my breadmaker ) use stir through pasta sauces as tomato paste (tastes 100 times better) we normally use basil or olive & chilli... And the bases of spring form tins make fantastic pizza trays but be sure to remove them before cutting with a pizza cutter as you'll ruin your cake tin's LOL!

Last edited by Rouge; September 7th, 2011 at 12:23 PM.

OOOH Great trips!!!

I woke up when Dh woke up on Sat morning (5:15am) as he had to be at work at 6am, I couldnt get back to sleep & all I kept thinking about was Snapper & prawns.. So I SMS'd him to grab some...
    He brought home 2 medium Snapper's a medium Silver Perch & 1 kg of Tiger Prawns!!!
    He spent all arvo in the kitchen making sauces etc to marinade the fish in & I grabbed some Seafood ****tail sauce!

He cooked them all & we went to Mum & Dads (just across the driveway) we all sat out the back eating!!! OMG, it was all devine, I made a coleslaw & a garden salad with French dressing... Plus we had herb bread...

OK well it wasnmt a tip or anything, just saying if ya SMS my hubby he comes through wid the goods!!! hee hee

My DH is a great cook!

poppet Guest

Asian bread shops often sell home made garlic bread wrapped in foil for $1.00-$1.50. I usually buy a few and freeze them. Cheaper than supermarket brands, and very tasty.

Those pasta stir in sauces make a great quick meal. There is a flavour out called 'roast pumpkin'. I cut up a pumpkin, roast the bite size pieces, and throw it into the ready made pasta sauce and pasta. A great addition to a very easy meal.

Use an Ice cream scoop (the old fashioned type that has a spring release) for doing exact perfect measurements of muffin dough, meatballs etc etc

I am trying to source a truffle scoop (of similar design) which is handy for making truffles, mini muffins, mini meatballs etc

Burn a candle when chopping onions and you will have no tears

When Icing a cake cover the plate/board with 4 seperate pieces of baking paper, one per side so that the icing goes onto the paper and not on the plate/board then when done you can slide each piece of paper out easily and left with a clean plate/board
    Last edited by Rouge; September 7th, 2011 at 12:24 PM.

ooh I'm gonna try that candle one Cailin. I love onions but hate the tears!

NewmumLou Guest

If you are making soup and you put to much salt in it, just add potatoes and that will absorb most of the salt.
    If you are making a pie filling or casserole and it is way to waterery use corn flour and add it slowly making sure to mix and i assure you it will thicken up!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Would it better to restart this thread. A number of the posters are no longer with BB and as such, some posts have been deleted leaving gaps in thread (bit confusing when there is a one sided conversation)

May be summarise the tips so far in the first post a new thread?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12