Thread: Coq Au Vin... (Chicken in Wine - French)

Question Coq Au Vin... (Chicken in Wine - French)

Just wondering if anyone has any personal recipe they've ever used to make this??
    Please share if you do!

The first time i made it from a Deborah Hay (i think) cookbook - and it was absolutely superb - but it was my ex-housemates and i can never find a recipe on the net that looks, 'quite right'.
    The second time i found a recipe and my friend (who seems to be a natural genius in the kitchen - & male!) and i sort of threw in a bit of this, and a bit of that. I think i can pretty much get away with just chucking things in 'willy-nilly' - but do you have any ideas on how long you have to boil wine for, before the alcohol is boiled out of it?

Also what's a good herb replacement for Thyme - i don't have any and i can't be bothered making a trip to the supermarket just for it. Argh, i need spring onions too, maybe i better go!
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; February 7th, 2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Ashlea,

This is the recipe I always use. Don;t ask me where it is from......I have been cooking it this way for years.....maybe Constance Spry or Elizabeth David?

Coq au Vin

Ingredients

1 x 5 lb (2.25 kg) chicken, cut into 8 joints
    1? pints (725 ml) red wine
    1 oz (25 g) butter
    1 tablespoon oil
    8 oz (225 g) unsmoked streaky bacon, diced
    16 button onions, peeled
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 sprigs fresh thyme (or of you don;t have any, I'd use dried mixed herbs instead.)
    2 bay leaves
    8 oz (225 g) small flat mushrooms, wiped
    1 rounded tablespoon softened butter and 1 level tablespoon plain flour, combined to make a paste
    salt and freshly milled black pepper

Method:

~ In a large pan, melt the butter and oil and brown the chicken joints all over
    ~ Place the chicken in a large casserole dish that can be used on the stove top
    ~ Fry the bacon off in the frying pan for a few minutes, then add to the chicken
    ~ Then toss the onions into the frying pan to coat with butter/oil and to soften and slightly brown the outsides. Add the onions to the casserole dish.
    ~ Add the herbs, garlic and seasoning to the casserole
    ~ Cover with the wine
    ~ Put a lid on the casserole and simmer for 40 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and simmer for a further 15 mins.
    ~ Using a draining spoon, remove all of the chicken, bacon, onions and mushrooms and keep aside.
    ~ You will be left with just liquid: bring this to the boil and let it boil away for about 10 mins until it has reduced by 50%.
    ~ Remove from heat and whisk in the butter/flour, return to a low heat and continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
    ~ Add back in the chicken, bacon, onions and mushrooms, and combine gently to reheat for 2 mins, then serve.

I make this regularly, and often I will make it one day, to the point of the initial cook, let it cool & leave it in the fridge until the next evening. Then take out all the meat, reduce the wine, make the sauce etc ready to serve it: lets the flavours develop immensely.

HTH

Thanks Lucy
    I ended up just chucking it together any old way, it came out alright, but will definitely keep this for next time.
    Thank you!