Thread: Emergency - roast duck!!!

Default Emergency - roast duck!!!

Girls I need help asap!!!

DH (bless him) bought a duck to roast for dinner but we have no idea how to stuff or season!!

Added complication - my mum is gluten free so no breadcrumbs!!!!

Help us!

He's about to shove some onion and carrot up there just for something to have in it!!!!'

dont worry about stuffing. How about trying an orange sauce with it? yum

Duck a la Orange
    Duck a al orange is one of the best know classical duck dishes. This is a simple modern take on the dish which just uses the duck breast

INGREDIENTS
    4 Luv-a-Duck duck breasts
    2 oranges, zest and juice
    1/4 cup white wine
    1 tbsp orange liqueur
    Salt and pepper

METHOD
    Using a sharp knife score the skin evenly about four or five times this allows excess fat from under the skin to escape.

Heat a suitable oven pan.

Lightly season the duck portions with a little salt and freshly ground pepper.

When the pan is hot place the breasts in skin side down and cook for 2-3 minutes until the skin begins to brown.

Turn over and cook for 1-2 minutes and then place into a hot oven 200C for approximately 8-9 mins.

When cooked remove from the pan and keep rest for about 10 mins, this will allow the juices to settle.

Pour the duck fat into a suitable container and put the pan back onto the stove on a high heat, deglaze the pan with the white wine and let it reduce down by half.

Add the orange liqueur and allow to boil add the orange juice allow to reduce to a nice syrupy sauce.

Pour a little of the sauce onto the plate. Slice the duck breast 2-3 times on the angle and arrange on warmed plates.

I dont think its a good idea to stuff duck as it doesnt let the fat drain out (and there is ALOT) this is what I do
    Peirce the skin all over but not the meat
    Boil for 30 mins in a large pot of water so that the duck is completely covered
    remove from water put in a large roasting tray with a grill type draining rack under. Pop some water in the bottom (just enough so the fat doesnt butn when it comes out)
    Dry the duck with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. If you would like it chinese style (YUM) I put a couple of star annisse in the duck and a bit of lemon or lime and I also season with chinese 5 spice. Cood for 1 hour on 220deg and you will get a nice crispy skin.

I have tried a few methods for roasting a duck this has been the nicest as they are very fatty

ask Rouge!

Thanks ladies!!!!

Too late for duck a l'orange unfortunately...

Might need to get DH to take the onions out by the sounds of it...

If we just roast it, what sort of sauce would be nice with it?

Does apple sauce work? How do I make apple sauce from tinned apples?

Rouge, Rogue, where are you Rouge??