thread: Fateh

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Fateh

ingredients:

500gms chickpeas
    2tsp bicarb soda
    approx 2-3 toasted bread loaves broken in pieces (leb bread)
    3 garlic cloves crushed
    2 tbsp tahini
    1-1.5 cup youghurt
    water to thin out
    a splash of vinegar
    salt
    3 tbsps finely chopped parsley for garnish
    2tbsps pinenuts toasted for garnish
    paprika for garnish
    and 2 large tbsps of ghee heated for garnish

method:

soak your chickpeas for ATLEAST 4 hrs (preferably overnight) in cold water with the bicarb sprinkled over
    next morning, rinse your chickpeas and add to a pot of boiling water and boil until cooked (soft )
    arrange your broken bread pieces in a large tray or serving dish
    add some off the chickpeas to the bread and stir together so that the bread is mixed with the chickpeas
    add a layer of chickpeas on top (not to thick!)

youghurt sauce:

add the crushed garlic, salt,youghurt, tahini,vinegar and mix vigourously until combined to a nice thick consistency, add enough water to create a speadable thick sauce but not watery!

spoon the sauce over the chickpea layer to cover them.
    sprinkle your parsley, pinenuts and paprika on top.
    and drizzle the hot ghee all over! Or extra virgin olive oil.
    Last edited by Phteven; May 20th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

Thanks for all the recipes onyx!

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

Mar 2004
    Sparta

This one is particularly amazing. It is so much more than the sum of it's parts. On paper it looks kind of ho-hum, chick peas and broken bread doesn't sound like the basis of an awesome dish but I won't go to a restaurant that serves Middle Eastern food and not order it. It is my favourite side ever.

And don't substitute tinned chick peas they just don't have the nutty flavour.

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

I can't wait to try it. I need to stock up on a few things first.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Mar 2011
    Perth

Hmm... I have all the ingredients except... what's 'leb bread'... lebanese bread, aka pita?

I'm pretty sure I ate this, or some very similar dishes, when I was travelling in the middle east.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

yep, lebanese bread, pita.

Feb 2012
    Tasmania

This is the second time I have seen this recipe today and I haven't been looking for them. I also have the ingredients... anyone believe in fatalistic menu planning?