Thread: Fondue question

Default Fondue question

DH got me a little fondue set for Xmas and I was thinking of using it to do a chocolatey dessert when we next have friends over for dinner but it didn't come with any instructions. Anyone got any tips on fondue-ing? The box said something about only using 'solid alcohol'... what the heck's that supposed to mean LOL? Oooh the toblerone fondue recipe that Cailin posted sounds yummy - should suss out if it's gluten free!

I have a new fondue recipe book plus my mum's 1960s one So what are you looking for?

I usually do about 3/4 block of platistowe (I think that's what it's called...) cooking choc and about 80ml cream - adjust the cream to suit the consistency you're after. I cheat and melt it in a saucepan then pour into the fondue set. Then I put a variety of things out for people to dip - bannana, strawberries, apple (you'd be surprised!), honeycomb... I'm sure I have an official receipe somewhere for the choc one but it's pretty simple. Also tastes great warm on ice cream

I just use eating chocolate (it doesn't have to be milk choc - you could use white or dark), cream and whatever alcohol (Tia Maria, Cointreau) I fancy. You just taste as you go until it's to your satifaction.
    Marshmallows are great for dipping too.

Thanks guys

What would the solid alcohol be referring to though? I assume it's something to do with using the burner bit? What does everyone else do to keep the dip or whatever warm?

I put the "dip" into the ceramic bowl that comes with the fondue kit and stick it over he tealight candle - you'd be surprised at how much that keeps it warm! On times I've had to extinguish the candle because it's made the dip boil!

I'm not sure what kind of a fondue set you have but the alcohol might be in reference to the type of fuel to burn - mine sits over a tealight candle....

Oooo fondue is awesome!
    When I make it, I use normal milk chocolate and melt it with some milk or cream till I get the amount and consistency I want.
    To keep it warm, we bought a fondue set for about $10 from some cheapo variety shop. It is almost like a big ceramic oil burner, but with a much bigger bowl, and you just put a tealight candle underneath the bowl of choc to keep the bowl warm. I find I have to keep stirring the choc though otherwise it goes gluggy.
    We cut up bits of fruit like banana, strawberries, orange.

I have no idea what the solid alcohol refers to though, sorry.

You can buy little solid fuel (AKA Solid Alcohol Fuel) tablet thingos (look like tea lights) from camping stores

Lucky duck! I would love a fondue kit!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ahhh... will have to track down some of those solid fuel tablet things. Thanks! Maybe a tealight candle would be okay to use too. I used to have a tiny mini fondue kit that used a tealight candle but it got so hot that it would burn the chocolate after a minute LOL.

yeah I had special candles for my fondue pot which was my grandmothers, so it was vintage 1950's... if I use a tea light I put a little table looking thing over it with a vent so that you can regulate the temperature a bit more for the chocolate ones.

For the cheese fondues the tea light is okay though...

Yum. I wonder if I can see the new year in with fondue!