thread: Frozen Lamb Roast

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

Frozen Lamb Roast

I have a frozen roast lamb in the freezer that I really want to cook up. Does it need to be defroseted before I cook it or can I put it strait in the oven?

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

i always defrost as much as possible overnight before cooking - the last thing you want is a delish looking roast on the outside, that has taken all the cooking time to defrost and isnt cooked properly in the middle.

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

I always defrost mine for no reason other than I like to stuff little pockets of garlic cloves and rosemary spriggs and I cannot do this when the roast is frozen.

Can you take it out and pop it on a plate and stick it in the fridge tonight then cook it up tomorrow night?

barney Guest

you could still put it in the oven on very low to try and defrost it a bit

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

Thanks for that, /i thought i would have to defrost first - just really felt like a roast tonight. Iguess it just means it will taste better tomorrow!

Feb 2007
    In the jungle.

i always cook frozen roasts. They come up perfectly, just allow extra cooking time.

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

falguni- that just changes everything now!

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

starting a roast from frozen for dinner tonight would make dinner mightly late hun!

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

I think last time I defrosted a roastit took a good 2-3 days, maybe I can put it in the oven tomorrow and slow cook it over the day for tomorrow night. We will have something easy tonight.

Feb 2007
    In the jungle.

that's a good point BG, you can do it but dinner will be a late one!

Apr 2008
    Sydney,NSW.

We have cooked our Roasts when they have been frozen,they turn out nice,but you deffinately have to cook them longer & on a slow heat,otherwise the meat is tuff & possiably burnt. I really do prefer fresh cut though,but sometimes I buy in bulk & have to freeze our Roasts.