Thread: Fruit stick/slice/museli bar recipe for toddlers?

Question Fruit stick/slice/museli bar recipe for toddlers?

I usually buy DS the Heinz kids fruit sticks and he loves them but they are costing me a fortune and I'd rather he didn't eat so much processed food (he asks for one every day ) so was wondering if someone had an alternative I could make myself?

I know you can buy cheaper fruit sticks at the supermarket but they have way more sugar than I'm comfortable giving DS.

It doesn't have to be a fruit stick, but something similar that's quick and easy for him to eat.

I have a recipe that is like anzac biscuits but can be made as a slice.
    Let me know if you would like the recipe. Its easy to make and we all like it, when I can be bothered to make it.

That would be great, I love anzac biscuits and could always add some dried fruit yeah??

I should have also said he is pretty much dairy free due to an intolerance but can handle small amounts in cooking etc.

My girls love these.....

Sultana oat cookies

1 cup self-raising flour
    1 cup Carman?s Toasted Muesli (its expensive....but reallllly worth it. The smallest box has lasted us about 5 batches of these cookies....so worth it)
    1 cup Sunbeam Sultanas
    3/4 cup Uncle Tobys Rolled Oats
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    125g butter, melted
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 tbsp honey
    Preheat oven to 190?C or 170?C fan. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
    Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Combine butter, egg and
    honey and add to dry ingredients. Mix well.
    Drop 2 tbsp of mixture onto prepared trays. Press lightly with the back of a fork.
    Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden. Cool on trays before storing in an airtight container.

Mbear: they sound delish, I'm going to try them for DS and myself.

Mbear:

How many cookies does this make and do they freeze well?

Just considering doing a half batch cause it seems like it will make a lot.

TIA
    Spring

What a great question Willow

Sage also loves the hienz kids fruit sticks and has the each day too
    I'll be watching to see if any other recipes come along

The anzac slice Rivlas is talking about is lovely, her daughter gave it to me DS loves it, and so do I LOL! And yes, it would be nice with dried fruit in it.

Here is the slice, sorry it took so long. Hope you enjoy it. I have never made it into biscuits. I use a square tin or a small slice tray.

Munchies
    1 cup plain flour
    1 teaspoon bi carb soda
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup coconut
    1 cup rolled oats
    125g butter melted
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    4 tablespoons hot water

Method:
    Sift flour, bi-carb. Add sugar (I used castor), coconut & rolled oats. Combine melted butter, hot water & golden syrup. I melt butter & syrup together. Add to dry ingredients mix well.
    Roll mixture into small balls & place on a lightly greased tray. Bake in moderate oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
    FOOD FLASH Reduce water by half, press into a slice tray and bake approx 20 minutes. Cut into squares while warm.

ohhh i would say 24.....depends on how big/small you make them.
    They freeze excellent. My Dd#3 whom is 17 months struggles with morning school runs and scoffing toast down with the rest of us...so i pull one of these out of the freezer when im in a hurry, and she munches on that whilst we are at school assembly....

Just wanted to pop back in and say I've made both mbear's sultana & oat cookies and Rivlas' slice and both were a big hit

I must have made monster sized cookies mbear cause I only got about 15 I think! They were great though