Thread: Fruit vs Juice

Question Fruit vs Juice

I was thinking a bit earlier today, does it make a difference if you eat a piece of fruit of have it as juice? Are there more nutrients if you eat it, as in does the juicing take anything away from the fruit itself?

The reason I ask is that Zander will absolutely not eat an mandarin but he is happy to have the mandarian juice that his Granny makes for him. She doesn't add anything, just straight juiced mandarians from her tree. Also today we juiced up some oranges & have made some ice blocks with them, we've done it before & he thinks it's great but won't eat an orange as an orange. I don't add anything to it, so technically the taste is no different, but he just doesn't like it as a piece of fruit.

Fibre tends to be the thing you get out of the fruit that you don't get out of the juice, not sure what other hidden vegetables lay in the solid side of fruit.

Sarah, I think the most obvious difference for me is the level of fibre they are getting, but if they get it elsewhere then it doesn't matter a huge amount.

My SD was the same when she was younger, to the point where I had to use my teeth in the car to peel an apple because she wouldn't eat it and we had nothing else. She has grown out of it, it just takes patience and just keep asking and they'll tackle the skin when they are ready. I reckon it has something to do with the texture more than anything...
    HTH.

Cool as long as it just fibre we're all good.

Other fruits he's good with, just oranges & mandarins, weird.

I spose at least with it juiced he's probably consuming more than he would normally.. one mandarin isn't going to make much juice.. so he's probably having lots of mandarins in that cup of juice! hehe.

I have heard that once you cut up fruit it quickly loses its nutrients.. so as long as it's freshly juiced I'd say it'd still be very good for him

Tallon has a knack for biting off some apple, and eating it.. but promptly spitting out the skin! Must do some fancy manouvering in that mouth of his! hehe.