Thread: Greek Potatoes

Default Greek Potatoes

Well I have been wanting to try this for AGES! So last night I gave it a whirl and OMG sooooo divine... I even stole a cold one this morning out of the fridge whilst getting the milk for my tea (very nigella of me) and soooo good. Would be great for picnics I think!

Ok so here's a rough idea, the recipe is very broad so can be swapped around to suit personal tastes.

Potatoes (however much you desire)
    Red onion (could use brown coz it does caramlise so the colour isn't an issue but I do find the taste does differ)
    Rosemary or Oregano (or both fresh or dried doesn't really matter)
    Olive Oil
    Water/Stock (beef/chicken/veg)
    Salt & Pepper
    Garlic Cloves

Chop your potatoes quarters if big (or however you like), we did red chats and because they were small we only needed to cut them in half. Leave the skin on if you like (I think it tastes better this way and its better for you). Take the skin off and the knob off the end of the garlic cloves then crush with blade of knife. Cut the onion into wedges. Mix the potato, garlic, onion, herbs, salt/pepper in a big bowl and coat with oil. Then pour into a baking dish and add the stock/water so it comes halfway up the dish. Put in a hot oven, about 220 to 250 C for about 1.5 hours. Turn the potatoes (I mix them around with a big metal spoon) about every 20 - 30 mins. You can add 1 tsp tom paste to the stock/water and some chili flakes instead of herbs for a different flavour, basically play with the tastes till you get something you enjoy. The main thing that makes them greek aside from the flavours is the slow roasting with liquid.

We had ours with Chunky Meatballs and Brocolli

*hugs*
    Cailin

Amelia Guest

They sound really yummy!!!!

I think I will have to try them this weekend when I do my roast lamb!!!!

gonna try this tonight with our Roast Beef.

Yum! Printing this one off for my book....

I make this too, but instead of tomato paste, I sometimes add one large tomato (chopped) just adds some extra flavour and colour!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thank you for posting this recipe, I made them tonight and OMG they were good. They are going to be my new dinner party potatoes So thank you *mwah*

Oh bec well you'll want this tip... I made them on sat night for a lunch on Sunday... we had them my vego friends place with veggie pizza. I put them in the oven whilst the pizza's cooked (about 220-250 for about 15-20 mins)... and OMG tasted better than the day before! Sooooo good. I just removed all the burntish garlic and transferred them to a new dish... So makes dinner parties even EASIER

*hugs*
    Cailin