Thread: Grilled Frozen Hake Fillets

Question Grilled Frozen Hake Fillets

It's embarresing the amount I know about cooking!!!!!!! This is going to be the daftest thing you have EVER read ... here goes ...

I want to make some Grilled Hake Fillets for dinner tonight, but it's the frozen type.
    I want to know HOW do you do it.
    Do you place the fillet (frozen) in a ovenpan and grill in the oven and not turn it around?
    If you do that do you start the oven off slowly and just grill the last two minutes, or do you go all Devil's Hell on the fish the whole time?
    Do you put it in a pan on the stove top and turn once or twice?
    What spice would you put on it? (me and DH is on a diet and I don't want any rich sauses, just plain) Something like a splash of lemonjuice and some salt and pepper?

I don't want it to have that wet-toiletpaper colour and I want it to taste good. It's my new year's resolution to learn how to cook properly and you guys are just going to have to step up and help this sorry sod!!

This is how I prepare frozen hake fillets.
    1. Defrost fish either in fridge during day or for an hour or two on the bench.
    2. Season with lemon zest, chopped herbs, salt, pepper and a little olive oil.
    3. Place on lined, greased griller rack with the nicest side up.
    4. Sprinkle tops of fish with a little shaker parmasen cheese (elcheapo stuff you get near the pasta).
    5. Grill on medium-high or at a medium distance for about 5 minutes.
    6. Serve with lemon wedges.

HTH!

I defrost mine then, wisk up some egg whites till frothy. Dip the fish in the egg white and then into flavoured bread crumbs. Stick in the oven around 180 - 200 degrees bout 10 min on each side or until golden and cooked through.

Skittle bub's way sounds yumo too! You can boost the flavour of bought flavoured breadcrumbs with herbs, spices, lemon zest or parmesan cheese. Will have to try that way soon!

I wonder if I can crumb them ahead of time (while frozen) and keep them in the freezer crumbed for an easy oven-able meal?

You can buy the fish fresh and crumb it, then freeze it. I haven't tried doing it frozen though.