Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Lunch ideas for SAHMs

Default Healthy Lunch ideas for SAHMs

Hi girls,

Well after eating egg sandwiches for lunch today - boring - I was wondering, what are your favourite healthy lunch ideas for when you are at home?

Or even for those of us that work (I work 2 days a week) what are some healthy lunches that you pack for work?

Some of my staples are:

Tuna salad (basically a garden salad with a can of tuna mixed through)
    Cruskits with cottage cheese and tomato
    Cruskits with tuna, mayo and tomato
    toasted sandwiches
    cuppa soup and cruskits/saladas

As you can see, I need a bit of inspiration!

I am really interested in this thread because I never know what to have for lunch.

I generally have a frozen sausage rolls cooked in the oven, left overs from dinner or rice cakes with philadelphia cream. I never have sandwiches because I never have the fresh stuff to make them!! In fact I have to go out today to buy bread LOL.

I usually have sandwiches... that is if I feel like eating.
    Today I had salmon with onion, mayo on wholemeal bread.
    I love to have lavash bread with lettuce, tomato, grated carrot, cucumber and grated cheese... it tastes so yum and I love the fresh taste.
    Otherwise, I munch on fruit because it is all so yum at this time of year.

Debbie Lee Guest

I have a fave that I used to have for lunch when I was on WW. I still have this every now and then. Neil loves it!
    6 cruskits with extra light philly cheese, tuna in springwater, tomato and pepper (or salsa instead of tomato).
    Really yum.... low in fat AND high in protein for energy

I have;
    tuna on rice cakes - great for work!
    Salad Sandwiches (when I have fresh stuff!)
    Wraps - love wraps but again you need fresh stuff.
    Whatever Marnie doesn't eat - which is usually finger food.
    Salad
    Leftovers!

I think I'll have an egg sandwich tomorrow after eating this thread!

Debbie Lee Guest

after eating this thread!
    Food on the brain hey Renee?? hehehehehe

Today I had 2 pieces of toasty I then smeared them with mashed avocado & spread a tin of tuna in sweetchilli on top & then some cracked black peper! Mmmmm yummo!

*Fletch anyreason for doubling up??? LOL

Im boring and usually have toasted sandwiches but i got a new toastie thing for xmas and i am loving it !!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

good ideas

rice crakers with basil petso dip & cherry tomoatos (yum getting some now)

Banana roll (I want one now)

Baked potato with sour cream & grated cheese (the other day)

cut square of cook puff pastry cut it in half and fill it with leftovers(last week spag bolognaise meat)

Today - Last nights leftovers (roast lamb sandwich with djon mustard and vegies/broc/cauli whiet sauce)

I tend to make sure we have something leftover like schnitzel so I can make yumy sandwiches or rolls if I can too.

do you think watching cooking segments and cooking shows all day is making me hungry all day !

OMG I am feeling like a baked potato now Trish, do you microwave them (or buy them) I need to find out how to microwave them... YUMMY!

Debbie Lee Guest

Tracey - I bake the potatoes the night before (I usually have them for dinner then have them the next day) then just zap the leftovers. Yum!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Tracey -I scrub the skins clean and then p r i c k them with a fork about 4-5 times. Sometimes I just zap them - microwave has a setting for jacket potatos but never quite right - start with 4-5 mions for med to large potato and then in 1 min bursts.Soft shell and soft tato.
    Or if I plan ahead I have microwave - convection oven I bake on hottest setting for a crispy shell and soft middle about 40 -50mins again depends how big a potato you use.

my fav are leftovers or i make alfredo pasta, and cutt chicken into little cubes, and chuck it in with some cooked peas, corn and ham... very yummy, and the kids actually eat it (even the pasta's good for them, according to supernanny!!)

Banana and sugar sandwiches are my fav... but have only just had my first one in a long time, they were too expensive for a while there!!

I generally have the standard toasted sandwich, leftovers or soup.

But I did have a banana sandwich the other day - yummy! I hadn't had a banana in what felt like years, and it was sooooooo good.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've just bought the New Glucose Revolution (the original GI book) and according to their tests, Burgen bread is the best bread to have, the best is the Honey and Oats? one followed by the Soy and Linseed. We usually get the S&L but have swapped

Yesterday I had tuna and chopped celery with mayo, no butter and it was yummo I can post some more ideas if you like the GI stuff. Thing is even wholemeal breads are processed - grainy breads are the best. I have really taken a liking to them, just decided I would change one day and thought it would be harder but it wasn't Start small...

The best rice if you have rice for lunch is doongara rice followed by basmati.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Ooooh banana sandwiches - I looooove them! I'd totally forgotten about them though because like Simone, we haven't brought them for such a long time. Now that the price has gone down we've been buying them again.

Kelly, we switched to the grain breads a few months ago and are loving them! I don't like wholemeal at all, has to have the chunks in it! We usually get the 9 grain varieties - I love the pumpkin seed one, DH loves the mixed seed one.

Debbie Lee Guest

We've switched to Helga's (is that a good brand?). We get it for $2 a loaf at our local greengrocer!! It's brilliant!
    Neil is in LOVE with the bread and it keeps for SO much longer than the regular bread. I reckon we're all healthier for it too.
    We get the soy and linseed and anything else "grainy" though they make a nice white bread too that I get occasionally (makes yummy toast!).

Fee Guest

We just have leftovers from dinner the night before. Easy and tasty! Most recipes make 4 serves, so we dish up 2 serves for our dinner and 2 serves go into containers for lunch the next day.

Things like:

• pasta
    • curry and rice
    • stir fry
    • brown rice and vegies (if we had steak the night before I don't like re-heated steak so I cook up some brown rice instead and sprinkle grated cheese on top)
    • frittata and salad
    • soup

On days we don't have leftovers for whatever reason, I eat sorta junky things like 2 Minute Noodles, tinned soup, packet mac & cheese etc. Or maybe a toasted sandwich with tinned spaghetti or baked beans. Or just cheese on toast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast