Thread: Helpful and Handy Cooking Sites

Default Helpful and Handy Cooking Sites

Recipe Source - Great for finding recipes, they are usually in mastercook format which is equally handy if you use mastercook to store all your recipes on your PC.

Easy Gourmet - This is a very handy list if you are watching your weight...it tells you all the CF&C of most foods

Cooks Calculator - With this you are able to work out Weight, Temperature and Volume which comes in handy for those old recipes of grandma's or Imperial recipes you might find online.

Food Subs - So you don't know the difference between all Cilantro and Corriander...well this link will be your best friend! Very handy for all those ingredients you have never heard of, they offer great subsitutes too for those international ingredients.

Kitchen Myths - A great page listed with factual information dispelling common cooking myths, for example, "When you add alcohol to a recipe it all evaporates during cooking so there is none in the final dish." Find out the truths and why!

The Food Timeline - Ever wonder what foods the Vikings ate when they set off to explore the new world? Who invented Doggie bags? What the pioneers cooked along the Oregon Trail? Who invented the potato chip...and why?

Eat-Japan - The link to this page on the Eat-Japan website tells you the best way to cook and store different varieties of rice - everything you need to know about getting the best from your rice. Also lots of Japanese cooking tools and recipes.

Delia Online - Delia is perhaps not as an exciting TV celeb chef as Jamie Oliver or Nigella Lawson, but I can't help but think that her recipes are all so good becuase the actually work, everytime!

Cooking By Numbers - you can type in the foods you want to cook with, and it brings up a whole heap of recipes including those foods

If you have any links that you think may be helpful to others please let us know

Happy Cooking!

*hugs*
    Cailin

I am not a fan of packet mixes in general, but I do really like the McCormick herb & spice blends & their recipe mixes are really good & don't ever taste "synthetic" like some others.........& I noticed on the back of their packets they have a website address, and I have checked it out: it has STACKS of really good recipes for all sorts of meals: all simple and flavoursome.........

Default Re: Helpful and Handy Cooking Sites

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin
    Food Subs - So you don't know the difference between all Cilantro and Corriander...well this link will be your best friend! Very handy for all those ingredients you have never heard of, they offer great subsitutes too for those international ingredients.
    Wow ive always wondered what a celeriac is! (a celery root! lol)

Sweetie Guest

I'm off to find these sites. Thanx

Mary 8-)

There is a website called Simply Great Meals that is run by the company that makes edgell and birds eye food products, amongst other things, and it has heaps of great recipes. I found it because I got a lot of tinned veg with my chrisco and wanted to see what I could do with it, but the website has a lot more than just tinned veg recipes. You do have to register to be a member but it doesn't cost anything.

Bon

recipezaar is THE best cooking site. Its full of recipes posted by normal people. I am a terrible cook. No, I mean really bad! This site has helped me out on quite a few occasions. MMMH I'm getting hungry.......

Percy Guest

The BBC's food site is great. So is Meal in a Minute - its an NZ based site but is great for quick after work meal ideas.

OMG Cadbury website has lots of delicious and dangerous recipes.

allrecipe.com is great.

There is a recipe search on the ninemsn site that has loads of womens weekly recipes and recipes from the TV show 'Fresh TV'. They are all Australian recipes too which makes it easier in finding ingredients and understanding what they are

The Coles Meal Ideas isn't bad either.

If you like British recipes, the Sainsbury's site has some good ideas for kid's meals, lunch box ideas etc