Thread: How long??

Default How long??

How long can you keep rice in the fridge before you have to throw it out??

You will probably hear different opinions on this, but really it should not be kept - more than a day. If you want to keep it for making salad then make sure you cool it and refridgerated it properly.
    Best not to re-heat though, but if you do make sure you reheat so PIPING hot, ok

Although I`m sure I have never had food poisoning from rice, it is apparently a very high risk for bad bacteria growing - I had to take an exam run my the British food safety and handling authourity years ago and rice was something they made a point of.

eta - because of the associated risk I never ate rice when I pregnant unless it was freshly boiled. So no re heating or rice salad or sushi etc
    Last edited by Salsa; March 28th, 2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: eta

rice can be kept covered in the fridge for 2 days. It can only be reheated once though after it is cooked for safety reasons.
    As Salsa said though, it does need to be HOT.
    Rice is a high risk food due to the moisture content. Bacteria LOVE moisture! lol

If you are making fried rice or rice salad, cook the rice and lay it out on a tray, as thin as possible and put it straight into the fridge so it can cool properly and quickly. Give it a russle around with a fork every little while too so you dont get any hot spots