thread: Meal planners - what's on your list?

Aug 2006

Wow, some of you make some lovely dinners! I'm not that great a cook but I'm improving

Fleur - Thanks for the lasagna recipe! I've seriously tried just about everything but something always goes wrong! Usually the pasta isn't cooked properly. I have two friends who make awesome lasagne (Freya is one of them ) but I just can't duplicate their recipe! Now that winter is here, I will no doubt give it another crack though!

allycat - Lamb koftas is one I am definitely adding to our list! YUM! Thanks for reminding me.

Peach/allycat - can you tell me how you make your laksa? I have done it once before but it was aaaages ago. I love laksa. My kids wouldn't eat it but I could make them something easy like sausages and vegies that night.

Thanks for sharing, keep them coming!
    Last edited by Willow; May 21st, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    Sydney

Usually the pasta isn't cooked properly.
    .........babe, use fresh lasagna sheets....in cold section of supermarket. More exxy but i was like you, lasagna was always crunchy, someone told me to use fresh sheets. Never looked back...makes a lot of diff.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

I parboil my lasagne sheets in some salted water, only for a couple of minutes and it turns out okay.

Sep 2009
    Melbourne

mmm Willow aren't they (lamb koftas) the best! I never realised lamb mince was so cheap until recentley so have been making them a fair bit.

I cheat and use the laksa paste from the jar The [email protected] one is my fave but can't find it sometimes so often get the valcom brand one which is pretty good. Just fry it with some chicken/prawns/tofu add a little water, coconut milk and rice noodles. Bit of spring onion, bean shoots, coriander on top and also those yummy dried, fried shallots. YUM! I have made the paste from scratch a few times but it takes a while. I'm happy to send you the recipe if you're interested

Aug 2006

Mbear - Great minds.... I did the shopping today and grabbed the fresh lasagne sheets! Will give it a go tomorrow night I think.

ally - I brought that paste today! No way do I have the time or skill to make it from scratch, but thanks anyway! I will probably make this for DH and I next weekend. Where can I get the fried shallots? I love those! I had forgotten how much I love laksa, I used to eat it a lot when I was working in the city...YUM!

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

Great thread!

On my rotations:

* warm roast veggie / couscous with marinated lamb backstrap
    * fettuccine carbonara
    * pasta & meatballs
    * roast lamb / veg / gravy
    * bush spice chicken on rice / veg
    * chickpea & veg curry
    * potato red curry
    * slow cooker sausage casserole
    * lamb backstrap with rice & veg
    * snags with pasta pack (very lazy & quick meal)
    * eggplant parma

Sep 2009
    Melbourne

Any asian grocer Willow...some supermarkets will have them too depending on where you live. Noodle soups are the best....especially in winter!

Aug 2006

Welllll, I am very pleased to say I made the first decent lasagne of my life tonight!

Mbear - I used the fresh sheets and yep, made heaps of difference. Few things I need to tweak but it was pretty nice!

Nov 2008
    Victoria

This is a great thread! Some fantastic ideas, I love seeing what other people eat

Our list includes

Sweet Potato and Tuna Cakes
    Bolognaise
    Meatball Risoni
    Chicken, Mushroom and Spinach Risotto
    Pumpkin Soup and Homemade crusty bread
    Meat and Veg (Steak, Rissoles, Sausages.. whatever is on special)
    Roast Lamb, Pork or Chicken (again what is on special)
    Baked Salmon and Veg
    Curried Sausages and Mash
    Casserole in SC (varies, usually whatever we have in fridge or garden)
    Bean bolognaise (great for when there is not much left in cupboard)
    Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
    Malaysian Satay (packet for when we are feeling very lazy)
    Lime, mint and coriander chicken skewers with yoghurt
    Chicken Burritos (from scratch, not the packets) with fresh tomato / corn salsa as well.. One of our favourites.. so good!

I get most of my recipes online.. Taste, Healthy Food Guide, But we also have lots of cookbook and magazines as DP and I love trying no recipes.