Thread: Meat on a budget

Lightbulb Meat on a budget

I had this sudden great idea while I was at the supermarket today for a way of getting pretty cheap meat - BBQ packs. The one I got had 8 sausages, 4 steaks & 4 lamb chops for just under $18. All of that will make 5 meals for us so it works out to be around $3.60 per meal for meat. Not bad!! The cuts aren't fantastic, but we'll just be BBQing or grilling them anyway so no big deal.

Good idea - must have a look next shop. Thanks!

Thats not bad Sarah. Will suit you guys just fine. Unfortunately for my house that would be one meal

That is a good idea Sarah.

We have butcher near us that sells top quality trim mince beef for $8.99/kg if you buy 2kg or more. I buy 2 kg and get them to bag it into 500g lots for freezing. We will get 4 dinners and usually some lunches from it for around $4.50 a time.

Another idea is to buy a corn beef and cook it up. We usually get 3 meals from one - serve it with vegies one night, another night cut up some left overs and add to a fried rice, and then have the rest of the left overs either deep fried in batter, or on top of a salad, or even reheated with vegies again. It depends on the size of course as to cost, but it works out at next to nothing per meal.

Very true Trish Zander doesn't eat meat, so I do nuggets or sausages for every meal for him so it's only really for me & Aaron.

Melanie our butcher does a similar thing with mince, buy 1kg get one free at something like $10 per kg, it's not the top quality one but I'm not fussed. We also do the 500gm lots to freeze.