Thread: Obesity link to the size of modern crockery!

Default Obesity link to the size of modern crockery!

I've been meaning to post about an interesting article I read in the newspaper about a link between the size of modern crockery bowls and obesity. Apparently people are eating from larger bowls these days compared to say, when our nanna's served up meals. This makes sense to me. My Sis and BIL have huge bowls that they eat cereal etc from and consequently have huge servings. We, on the other hand have inherited our grandparent's willow set which is much smaller. As a family we do eat a lot less and are lighter. What do people think? Do you always fill your bowl and what size is it? I think this especially influences how much children eat... if you have a massive bowl and only put 1 scoop of ice cream in it they will protest saying "is that all???" but I serve icecream on little saucers and they are happy... all mind games i know... but this article seems to back up something I have suspected for years...

Last edited by Bathsheba; May 4th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.

Aha! I knew there was a reason I should indulge my love of strange little mis-matched pottery bowls found in op shops!

I totally agree, many dinner sets now come with large pasta bowls instead of the little soup/dessert ones. I have my Grandma's old prized set of 'fruit bowls' and they would hold probably a third or a quarter of what the modern ones do.

Interesting!

Today I ordered a regular latte which was over in two sips and I felt it wasn't enough so went back for another.
    I'm used to drinking from mugs so the cup seemed too small

*TamaraP* Guest

Hmm, interesting. We have small dinner sets here. But for when people come over the nice dinner set is a lot larger than my crappy normal ones.

I tend to only have small servings, and always wondered why our plates looked a little empty.

I completely agree.
    I went for a holiday to the UK in 2000, and the crockery (and servings in general) are significantly smaller there. However, I was never hungry after a meal (well maybe it took 2-3 days to adjust) and when I got back to Australia I'd lost 5 kilos in 6 weeks.

We have large bowls in our house, and have large serves of pasta and ice cream, I'm the only one who eats cereal, so have large serves of that too. We do have small bowls too, but they never get used (actually we have permanently commissioned two of them upside down to hold the centre speaker for the surround sound up off the gas heater). We have normal size dinner plates, but they are always piled high. Lately I have still been super hungry after meals, but I have very little fat on me, and am only 3-4 kilos over what I was when I was 3 months pg. But the Man is a bit heavier than what he should be. He has been getting slightly heavier since meeting me, but he wasn't eating very well before that. Now he says he is grazing in the top paddock!

I agree with it actually and its something I have thought about before. We used to have large deep bowls, but I went out and bought small ones which we use now instead the big ones. Its true though - the bigger the bowl, the more likely you probably are to eat more as people just seem to fill the bowl and then dont want to waste food so just eat it all. I know this is hubbys theory, fill the huge bowl and eat it all.

It's so true - my parents notice this when they come to me, my places are smaller than theirs, but they are piled up equally. DH and I eat a lot less when we're at home compared to when we're with my parents, because we don't like to see space on a plate!

Although my Thursday Coffee Morning are getting our own mugs next week (we're decorating them!) because we find the church mugs/cups too small!

Yeah it's a good point. I have thought about it before too. Weight Watchers actually talk about this if you ever go to their meetings, they say that to always eat from a small plate hence you think you are eating more... eat slowly too.... even if you are starving, don't rush just eat it slowly... and chew at least 10 times before swallowing!!!!

I would have to agree with you.

I have a small and large dinner set as some of mine the kids have dropped and when buying more it depends on where i go.

My SIL would eat cereal out of a mixing bowl and would have heaps of it and she's not small in size. I think a box of cereal would only last a couple of days and that was a latge box.