Thread: One Handed Recipes

Default One Handed Recipes

Hi,
    Can't you guess? New baby!
    I need recipes that i can both cook and eat one handed. Trying to eat steak and BF at the same time is turning out to be a bit of a challenge.
    Does any one have any tips to cooking in this situation as well?

Lisa

Ahhh yes, remember those days, boob hanging out at the dinner table whilst trying to eat your food - no shame is there ??

I would suggest 'bite size' portions - cut your potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato into bite size cubes.
    Quiche is good with one hand too - you can cut it with your fork as well as eat from the fork. There are loads of quiche recipies on BB - just do a search.
    Avoid spaghetti.... buy the penne or spiral pasta - easy to stab with your fork !Meatloaf is good one handed too.
    Im a vege, so cant really think of any meat dishes....

Lol oh I remember doing that! I used to just cut everything on my plate up into bite size pieces then I could do both and eat whatever

As for the cooking one handed, there's more of a challenge. That's when I bought a HAB lol.

Invest in a set of splaydes!! LOL

First thing that came to mind was omlette.
    You can whisk up some eggs in a pan and cut a few slices of cheese and chuck a slice of ham etc into the pan all with one hand - it`ll still taste the same even if you havent grated it... and omlette can be eaten with one hand too.
    The eggs are good for your energy too - which you really need!
    Could be a good lunch option in these early weeks.

Also, fruit smoothies can be made in advance and put in the fridge. A good thick one with 1 -2 banana, apple , yogart/milk/juice and all that will give you a bit of a good energy. Dont make smoothies more than a day in advance though, or they loose too much of the nutrients and wont taste as good. You can whizz these up in a couple of mins (or you DP could before they head off to work), stick it in the fridge (with a lid) and then grab it to drink while feeding or whatever later in the morning....

HTH

oh, and when DS was a baby, DH had to cut up my dinner into bite size pieces for me the way we do now for DS

stirfry is always good

anything with a mince base (bolognaise with spirals etc, curried mince dishes, lasagne or similar)

vegies cut up small...

Risotto's are also good for that kind of thing, especially if you use frozen vegetables - peas, broad beans, etc - it's also great for using up anything you have left over.

Make up a pan of warm stock, either fresh or from a good quality commercial stock.
    Sweat an onion in a little oil, add a splash of white wine and allow to reduce then add the risotto rice and coat in the hot oil and onion
    Add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring until the stock is absorbed between ladles
    Look in the fridge or freezer and see what you have left to use up - left over pork, ham or chicken or sausages are good - chop it up and throw it in
    When the rice is soft and creamy then find some vegies - I like frozen peas, beans, spinach, asparagus in mine, but any green vegetable and/or herb will work well - left over bits of pumpkin or sweet potato are nice - chop/tear it up and stir it in
    If you want to richen it up then add some grated parmesan and/or a splash of cream then serve it up.
    The key thing is to keep stirring it the whole time that it is simmering, this will make it nice and creamy.