Thread: Pls teach me how to make an easy peasy quiche

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Pls teach me how to make an easy peasy quiche

of ham and mushroom perhaps? Charlie, DS2 and DH all love quiche but I honestly haven't the slightest clue how to make one.

And if it's idiot-proof, all the better!

Last edited by sushee; May 11th, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

Here you go, this is real easy & you can add extra pieces. Best bit is you don't have to worry about pastry.

4 ozs chopped bacon
    4 ozs grated cheese
    250ml cream
    1/2 C SR Flour
    1 1/2 C Water
    4 eggs
    1 Chopped onion
    Salt & Pepper

Mix all the ingredients together & put into pie dish. Cook @ 180 for 40 mins. Easy

I often add chopped tomato, mixed herbs & capsicum. You could substitute the bacon for ham no worries & add some chopped mushrooms too.

I was going to give a variation on the same thing -

Fry onion and what ever vegies you want. Mix 1 and 1/2 cups of milk to 1/2 cup of SR flour, whisk in 3 eggs. Add to vegies and pour into pie dish and bake for 40-50 mins at 180 degrees.

Sushee, I make mine a little different but it's still really easy.

I use a short crust pastry base.

Get some frozen short crust pastry and let it thaw, then line the dish (well greased) with the pastry, line the pastry with some baking paper (and add in rice or blind bake beads to keep the pastry flat) and cook in a 180-200 oven for about 15mins.

Mean while fry up some bacon, onion/leek, mushies and put them aside, slice up some tomato .

When the base is cooked let it cool for a little, then add your filling into the base (we also add little florets of broccoli) and pour over the beaten egg. We don't actyually add any milk but you'll need about 8 eggs if you don't add milk, I like it better with out milk it's richer and yummier!

Sprinkle a bit of cheese over the top, arrange the slices of tomato on top and bake for 30 mins or so, just keep checking it.

mmmmmm, I might make one tonight!

I just put a thing of pastry in a tin, then in a jug I mix Eggs (maybe 4?) some milk/cream (just whatever really... Then I throw in some ham or bacon, some spring onions, some crazy salt, mushrooms, grated cheese, chopped tomato... Then bung it all in the pie case & throw it in the oven fora while!!! hee hee

I jsut do it without thinking & alter it each time so I dont have quant's or times!!!

I love quiche but only when imakeit myself as i dont really like the eggy ones. Here's my recipe for a milder taste.

Blind bake some frozen shortcrust pastry

Then cook some onion/bacon/mushies/capsicum - anything goes well in it
    Spread over base then add the softer fillings lthat dont need cooking like
    tomato/corn/ham/salmon

Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the top and some fresh chopes chives, S&P

Mix together 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup full cream milk, 1/2 cup cream
    and pour over the top. Bake 40-50 mins on 180'C till firm and golden.

I have always used the 1 egg: 1/2 cup of liquid ratio. It works really nice for a less eggy taste.

Like Tracey, i change it every time depending what's on hand in the fridge. I'm hungry now

Sushee,

Mine is easy peasy too!

Spray some oil in a quiche dish, and cover bottom & sides with sheets of short crust pastry - Supposed to spray in between each layer you put down (usually takes approx 3 sheets that I've pulled apart to fit... but sometimes I forget to spray inbetween ... It hasn't made any difference though!)

In a large bowl, mix 4-6 eggs (depending on how big you want the quiche to be), about half a cup of milk, and then whatever ingredients you want to put in.
    (In your case, shredded ham, mushrooms... maybe shallots??)
    Whisk it all together.

Pour it over the pastry sheets, and bake in oven 180 for approx 40mins - 1hr (depending on your oven).

For something extra yummy, after I've layered the bowl with pastry, I layer it with really thin slices of cheese (you can buy shaved cheese in the deli at woolworths, which is perfect because its not too thick)

Last week I made one, and layered it with brie, and then used smoked salmon, shallots, dill, salt & pepper... It was divine!

I've used all sorts of cheese, and they all cook really well.

Good Luck With It

This is for mini quiches and you could put whatever you want in!

Puff Pastry Sheets
    3 Eggs
    125g tasty cheese
    3 rashes bacon -chopped cooked
    300 mL thickened cream
    3 sliced shallots
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    1 tsp dijon mustard

Mix all ingrediants together. Cut out 7cm round circles out of the puff pastry , grease muffin tins.
    Spoon mixture on top of each pastry circle in tin. ( I get 18)
    Cook in a 200 degree oven for 15-20 mins!

Super easy and you could put in whatever you want - mushrooms, chicken, zucchini. I love having mini ones as snacks.

You girls are gems! I suspect I'm going to try variations of all these over the next few months!

how great is this thread, I was just oping in here to see if I could find a quiche recipe and well I find all of these that sound so yummy indeed I know what we are having for dinner tonoght mmmmmmmm

I love quiche and always make Lucy's quiche lorraine.
    I've made a cheese and tomato one before will find the amounts i used.
    The one thing i do is always make my own pastry as i find it takes better than the frozen one.

Jillian posted this one ages ago, but it's disappeared from where it used to be. Lucky I saved it It's not a traditional style quiche which you're probably looking for, but sooo yummy.

Pasta and Herb Quiche
    Recipe can be made the day ahead

200g spaghetti
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 clove garlic crushed
    1 medium zucchini grated
    1 medium carrot grated
    5 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/2 teas dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    410g can of tomatoes drained, crushed

Lightly oil 23cm pie dish.
    Break spaghetti into 10cm pieces, add to large pan of boiling water, boil, uncovered until just tender; drain.
    Heat oil in large pan, add onion, garlic, zucchini and carrot, cook, stirring, until liquid has evaporated.
    Combine spaghetti, vege mix, eggs, cheese, herbs and tomatoes in a large bowl.
    Spoon mixture into pie dish.
    Bake uncovered in moderate oven for about 45minutes or until set.

Ooh that sounds good too, Sarah. DH is cooking dinner tonight apparently (everyone run and hide!) but when I'm back on my feet, I may try that one first. I looooove pasta.