Thread: Polenta

Default Polenta

I've just recently bought a bag of polenta (having never cooked with it before) and was after some ideas/suggestions what to do with it?

Polenta Lasagna
    Ingredients
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    salt and pepper
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can (14 ounces) tomato sauce
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
    1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
    2 eggs

Polenta (recipe below)
    1/4 cup fresly grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
    In large deep skillet, heat oil over high heat; cook mushrooms until golden brown, about 3 minutes, stirring often. With slotted spoon, remove to plate; sprinkle lightly weith salt and pepper to taste. In same pan, cook beef, sausage, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, breaking up meat with spoon, until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain off any fat.

Stir in tomato sauce, parsley, basil, oregano, and hot pepper flakes; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes, stirring often. Cool slightly. Taste and adjust seasoning, remembering cheese will be salty.

Stir in mushrooms, bread crumbs and eggs.

Spread half of the Polenta in greased 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish. Top with meat mixture, smoothing top. Spread with remaining Polenta, smoothing top. Sprinkle with cheese. Casserole can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.

Cover loosely with foil; bake in 350-degree F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and broil for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Polenta:
    4 cups water
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp butter
    1/4 tsp pepper

In saucepan, bring water and salt to boil. Gradually add cornmeal in slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and cool, stirring often with wooden spoon, for 15-20 minutes or until mixture comes away from side of pan. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, butter and pepper.

i have never made this but it sounds yummy!!!

polenta bread! its the BEST....

dont have a recipe here but ill check at home, quick easy and yummy

damn now i feel like it

I cook it up as per packet instructions then add cream and parmasen cheese at the end as well as salt pepper, makes it taste better and is more creamier.
    Then I pour it on a plate and let it cool.

Depending on what I feel like I either then cut it into slices and fry it in a little olive oil, melt some cheese on top and eat it with some sort of sauce, napoletana or bolognaise.

or I eat as is just with some sauce again... yummy!!!

might have to make it again soon..

We eat it topped with pasta sauce, grilled vegies (capsicum, eggplant, zucchini, olives etc) and sometimes slices of thick sausage. Hhhhmmm might have to make some soon!

Polenta bread is also known as cornbread, if you do a search here you'll find some recipes.

I am actually making polenta tonight, which I make using stock (so its soft and creamy like mash) then put it into a dish topped with cooked baby spinach (with garlic, salt & pepper) and some slices of brie and pop into a moderate oven till the cheese is melted.

Yum.

So with polenta, it's pretty much either have it as almost a gruel with sauce on top, or pressed into a tin and baked / grilled / fried to make wedges - what would you serve with that? I was thinking that maybe polenta would be a cheap meal?

Just wanted to subscribe to this as I tried to make a polenta crusted fish meal a few weeks ago but its was so gritty... did I get a bad batch, or is it always like that? How do you make it smooth.

Sorry ot hijack LOL!!