Thread: Recipes containing ginger

Default Recipes containing ginger

Hey Ladies!

I'm looking for some good recipes that contain fresh ginger - brought a heap of it this week (on the advice of my acupuncturist!) but am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it other than add it to a stir fry.

Any ideas?????????

Sounds like you have been advised to take more "warming foods". I was advised the same....ginger beer is good...buderim do a fantastic ginger cordial mix. I also have crystalised ginger I munch. You can add ginger to cakes and pastries...it's great in sweet things for example my lemon slice is now a lemon and ginger slice. I have baked it with fish in foil with some lime etc..
    Lots of things...it is really only limited by the imagination....try some in the steamer with vegies or in marinade for steak or chicken.

Thanks Mel! I actually had fish last night but had already cooked it before realising it would have been perfect for the ginger

I might try a marinade too, that sounds good actually.

I did think of that ginger coridal mix but didn't know if it would be as beneficial as fresh ginger. I might give it a go.

Willow,
    I posted a recipe for Spring Rolls (in thread of same name) which uses about 2 tablespoons worth of ginger.
    If you want to make your own crystallised ginger:
    Peel and thinly slice 500g fresh ginger root, place in a heavy based saucepan and cover with water. Cook gently until tender, usually about 30 minutes.
    Drain off water, and weigh the cooked ginger. Measure an equal amount of sugar and return ginger and water to saucepan, along with 3 tablespoons water.
    Bring to the boil, stirring often, and cook until ginger is transparent and liquid has almost evaporated.
    Reduce the heat and cook stirring constantly, until almost dry.
    Toss cooled ginger in sugar to coat.
    Store in airtight jar for up to 3 months.

I am sure that I have some other recipes if you would like.

oooh, thank you Netix!

No probs.
    I have recipes for ginger drinks if you would prefer to make a drink from the fresh rather than use cordial, cakes, and lots of main dishes.

Yes please Netix!!!!!

Here's a few to keep you guys occupied....

Ginger Ale

2 cups coarsely chopped fresh peeled ginger
    3 strips lemon peel (yellow part only)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 quarts chilled club soda
    ice cubes

Place ginger, lemon peel, and 4 cups of water in a 4 quart saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Simmer at a low boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
    Add sugar, stirring constantly, and continue to boil until reduced to about 3 cups worth, another 15 minutes or so.
    Place a fine wire strainer over a large bowl, and pour in ginger mixture to separate. Discard the lemon peel. The strained cooked ginger pieces may be reserved for other uses (ie, with vanilla ice cream or yoghurt) if desired.
    Cool the syrup, pour into a glass container, seal tightly, and chill at least 1 hour until cold or up to 1 week.
    For each 16 ounce serving, mix 1/4 cup ginger syrup with 1 cup cold club soda and pour over ice. Additional syrup and/or sugar may be added to taste.
    (I am sure that if you put this syrup into a sterilised bottle it would keep out of the fridge if you wanted to give it to someone or use later. I think I might make it for my Dad)

Ginger Cinnamon Tea

1/2 cup fresh ginger, thinly sliced
    6 cups water
    2 cinnamon sticks
    2 tablespoons honey

In a saucepan, simmer the ginger, cinnamon sticks and water for about 20 minutes.
    Add honey and strain through a sieve or tea strainer.

Ginger Lemonade

10-14 slices fresh ginger root
    3 cups granulated sugar
    4 quarts water
    4 cups fresh lemon juice

Combine ginger root, sugar and water in a pan. Heat to boiling, stirring occaisionally. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Remove the ginger, pour into a covered pitcher and chill for at least 1 hour. Serve with ice.

Ginger Cookies

1 cup plus 5 tablespoons plain flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    10 tablespoons butter, softened
    1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
    1/4 cup fresh ginger, grated
    1/4 cup molasses

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together into a bowl a set aside. At medium speed, cream the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, lemon zest, and ginger together in a bowl until light and fluffy, roughly 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula while mixing.
    Add the molasses and mix on low speed for several seconds. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until the mixture is fluffy again. Scrape the bowl down again.
    Divide the dough in half, form each half into logs and wrap tightly in waxed paper. Chill the dough for 2 hours.
    After 2 hours, gently roll the wrapped dough back and forth on the work surface to smooth out the cylinder. Refrigerate again for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
    Fifteen minutes before baking, preheat oven to 180degrees C. Line several baking sheets with paper, or leave them ungreased. Cut the rolls into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until they are crisp and firm, with brown edges, 14 to 16 minutes. Cool on the sheets.
    Store uncovered, or freeze for up to 2 weeks. Makes 40 cookies.

Ginger Dill Dip (something different, I thought!)
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 minced or crushed garlic clove
    1 tablsespoon minced fresh dill
    1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
    1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced

Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic and dill together in a bowl, using a whisk. Add ginger to sour cream mixture and blend until smooth. Chill. Serve with fresh vegetables. (Try using light mayonnaise and sour cream if you wish).

Oh, I have lots more, but I would be here for ages.... And unfortunately I have a 1960-something caravan parked in my driveway that is begging me to finish cleaning it up for my MIL to stay in when she arrives in a couple of weeks. Arrggghhhh! Must finish it!!!
    Will check back later if anyone wants any more ginger recipes... Ginger poundcake, pineapple ginger muffins, ginger sauce, ginger carrot and sesame pancakes, etc etc....

The cookies sound yummo...guess what I will be doing on the weekend

Ha! I guess you'll be making ginger cookies while I'm making ginger ale! I want to make something, but I have neglected most of my housework this week and been working on the caravan, which has left me quite stuffed. I just want to finish it and get it out of the way.
    I guess I'll really be making ginger ale after I finish the van. And the housework. Blah.