Thread: Retro Recipes

Default Retro Recipes

What are some Retro Recipes you remember from your youth? Or some your grandmother made? Any you still make? I LOVE retro recipes. I have a fave blog that has a lot of retro recipes. And the great thing is people were alot more frugal back then so they are often budget friendly too.

We used to have a mountain of mashed potato with savoury mince poured over the top and boiled green beans around the mountain... we called it the potato mountain.

My grandma used to make split pea soup all the time, or tuna melts (tuna salad on toast with cheese on top in the griller until its melted)

My grandma on the farm used to make french onion soup... with old bread and mozarella on top.

I love creamed asparagus - basically tinned asparagus in a creamy sauce served on toast. And its gotta be the tinned stuff too so that it is all mushy!

And meatloaf - love it.

oh I love meatloaf too.
    mum used to make "chow mein" which was basically mince with some carrots, celery, spices and maybe some other vegies.
    irish stew

Trifle and Pavlovas, at every family gathering, seem to be a crowd pleaser. I sometimes find myself making them for fun when we BBQ with friends.

hi all the best retro recipes are for scones, quick simple versatile and great for the kids to help with ( big mess but great fun). The best recipe that Ive found is:

2 cups S/R flour
    1 Tblspoons Sugar (white or raw)
    1 pinch Salt
    4 Tblspoons Butter/ Marg (approx)
    3/4 cup Buttermilk (sub 3/4 milk w/1tsp lemon juice or white vinegar)
    1/4 cup Water

Sift dry ingredients, Rub butter til looks like fine breadcrumbs, add milk+water(bit by bit so it doesnt go sloppy) LIGHTLY knead til it just comes together, roll out on flat surface cut with cookie cutter place on greased tray bake for 15-20 minutes(until golden- can brush with egg or milk wash) in mod oven bout 180*C (160 fan forced). Serve warm with jam and cream.

Can sub in other ingredients ie pumpkin, banana, apple etc add extra flour or reduce milk and water to compensate. Or get creative fill with jam before baking.

Tip: double mixture always gets eaten quickly, great for school lunches and afternoon tea.
    (also great for kids there is no raw eggs if mixture id eaten raw.)

I remember going out for dinner at the neighbours and having 'gouly gouly chops' which were lamb forequarter/shoulder chops baked in a tomato and onion gravy type sauce. And Dad made a ripper meatloaf, it was so yummy. And mum used to make the spiral sausage casserole (remember on "We can be Heroes" and Chris Lilley's female character made this as a staple dinner LMAO). Also for entertaining Mum would make pineapple upside-down cake, and everyone used to do the slices of devon filled with cold mashed spud and held with a toothpick.

curried sausages with mash - I might try and make some.

mmmmm pavlova
    If I do the base I bet Yasin would love putting all the fruit on the top *drools*

Mum (still makes) 'racehorses' which are something like a pikelet mix, but not as sweet, with leftover meats (corned beef, roast chook) and veggies. Only just remembered this last night, should get her recipe.

That sounds a bit like toad in the hole which is yorkshire pud with sausages in it.

Not quite Dachlostar - it's fried in a frying pan not baked? I do yorkshire pud with our roasts, yum. Makes little meat go a long way...

My dad used to make lambs fry and bacon- thats lambs kidneys with bacon and a onion gravy. I used to love it until I found out what 'lambs fry' is, for some reason regardless of the fact I liked it, I can't eat it now. My dh loves pigs in a blanket- mash with devon wrapped around it.

Mum used to make on a Sunday night tomatoes & onion sauteed together with curry powder & cook sausages n it (so kinda like a Reliosh with snags cooked in it & then heaps of mashed spud!

I made Ginger Breads y'day & Maddy iced them & her & Indah decorated them with smarties, 100'2 & 1000's & splinters! Howver Indahs face was covered in the sweet stuff!!!! LOL

Emailed Mum&Dad and Mum sent down the recipe ...

1 x cup SR flour
    Salt and pepper to taste
    I cook 1 small or 1/2 onion, tomatoes if use them, parsly
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    Mix all together and cook like pancakes but may take a bit longer. They
    do taste better without the tomato. You may like to use zuchini.

They also put in corned beef or cut cooked snags or serve with snags etc.

My mum makes those exact same things Kazbah - We call them La Di Da's *lol* But they are fritters?

All these recipe's remind me of when DF and i went to stay at his grandparents place in tassie... we ate enough retro food to feed an army... the same things over and over and over... we both put on tonnes of weight on that holiday, it was just too cold to resist hot food 3 times a day.