Thread: Roasting in a BBQ?

Default Roasting in a BBQ?

Wondering if anyone has done a roast in a BBQ.

We went out to a friends house and they did a roast pork and veg with fish in alfoil and stuck it all in the BBQ. I didn't stay for dinner, but all the same it has inspired me to do something similiar.

So, anyone out there done a BBQ roast? Any tips or tricks?

Nic

For Xmas, my mum bought a rotisserie (sp) stick/pole and put it under the hood in her bbq.

She put a roll of lamb, pork and beef roast on it and it was beautiful!! I think the trick is to keep it turnign

Yeah, I 've seen the rotisserie stick/pole thingy's (love our technical terms here!) I think you can get them in 12volt so they keep turning during cooking.
    I have to wait until I can get near a shop that has them though

Nic

Mia'sMummy Guest

Smile Love Roast done in the BBQ!!

Hi there,
    My Fiance does roasts in our BBQ all the time, he heats it up to about 180 degrees with the hood on, puts the roast on a foil tray, you can buy from the supermarket (that way you can throw it away & save on dishes ) & puts it straight in, no turning or anything -if you wanted to season it you would do that normally before putting it in but we do pork without any seasonings cept salt & its SENSATIONAL!!! We dont cover the pork but we always cover other meats otherwise it can be a little dry. Roasting it that way gives it such a great flavour, much better than in the oven & you can do your vege's that way aswell, but not at the same time ofcourse.
    YUMMO!! I'm inspired now, we'll be having a roast on the weekend!
    Enjoy your roast however you do it

My DH, Dad and Dad IL roast on the BBQ and it is fantastic. No heating up the house, no cooking smells and minimal cleanup. All of the Christmas roasts were BBQ roasts and turned out moist and very yummy.

DH cooked a chook on the BBQ over the weekend with Guinness. Take one can of Guinness beer and open. Stand it upright in a tray and place the chook over the top (can goes up the chooks bottom!!!) As the BBQ heats the beer boils and the flavour is absorbed into the chook. OMG it was good!!!!!

Mia'sMummy Guest

Hi Michelle,
    What a great idea... Must try that! Thanks for the tip.

my in laws do a marinated boned lamb roast in the BBQ which is fantastic, not sure what goes into the marinated but they marinate it for 1-2 days prior and it is cooked on the hotplate but you need to turn every so often, so o little more work but the best roast i've ever had!!!

abs Guest

hmmm, inspiration for a fathers day/birthday/xmas pressie for me. I can never think of anything. A rotiserrie thingy for my bbq - hmmm, yummo !

abs, I've been checking out the bbq's galore website...lots of goodies on there for the BBQ. They had a stand/holder to put the can in for the chook just like Michelle was talking about.
    Might have to put it off for a bit until I can get to BBQ's galore and buy some bits and pieces to try out.

Mia'smummy - With the foil trays do you turn the burner/s it is sitting directly over, off or down on low and leave the outside ones on?

Nic

I do this all the time... I do chickens & turkey (christmas) on the BBQ too. My best advice is re the heat. Preheat all the burners. Then turn the centre one off & do the roast on it, getting heat from both sides (turn down the other burners, but keep them fairly hot. If you have only 2 burners, keep one off, & do a bit more turning to make sure all sides get done. If you use a Weber, you have to make a pile of coals on one side. We've done it every possible way!! You can use an oven thermometer to check the temp if you like (the kind that sits on a shelf). Usually you want it around 180 while the roast is on. Obviously the initial preheat will be hotter.

DH likes to use foil but I don't think it's required. We also brine pork & chicken to keep the meat moist.

We roast on the BBQ all the time! DH does a lovely roast lamb leg, which he debones and butterflies out - the meat is thinner so cooks through more quickly. Just be warned, don't run all your burners because they get hot very fast!

we haven't cooked a roast in the house in months - they're all done on the bbq! we have a rotisarie and bq hood that we got at bunnings - with the oven temperature display all a part of it. i absolutely LOVE it - no heat in the house, minimal clean up, and the meat is so moist and tender!

last weekend we bought a an uncut lump of scotch fillet steak, put a chilli mustard rub on it, and roasted it slowly for a couple of hours - and it was soooooooooo yummy - my brother and SIL heard that we were cooking it, so instead of having left overs for the next night, we had visitors for dinner! we roast on the bbq at least once a fortnight - would be lost without it!

Mia'sMummy Guest

Hi Nic,
    We turn the burner that the tray is directly completely off once its hot otherwise it'd burn the bottom out of the meat & we certainly wouldnt want that!! Ours is a 6 burner BBQ so we dont have all the burners on to get it to 180 degrees.
    After reading the other posts I'm keen to try the rotisserie idea too... Must hunt one down for our BBQ.

Talk about mouth watering!! All this talk about roasts has made me starving... I'm off to get something to eat

now im so jealous I dont have a hood

I have always wanted to cook a roast on our BBQ ours is a 4 burner with a hood. I also have not cooked a roast in over a year or so lol so I wonder how it would turn out?