Thread: Shepards pie question

Question Shepards pie question

Hi, just wondering if someone could tell me how much gravy to put in, and do I just put the powder in or do you add water or what??

Thanks

I just make the gravy from the pack, um.. i think it is gravox, in a pyrex measuring cup... not the sachet the box one...then i just keep adding water to the powder until it looks ok, then pop in on top of the mince and onion and peas,and stir through until thick. Add only small amounts of water at a time to stop lumps. If you don't have enough gravy mixture just make some more up and tip it in. Don't add the gravy powder to the mince, make it seperate first.

hope this helps...

leis x

i do much the same - always make the gravy first to make sure you don't get lumps - if you're making the pie from left over roast meat and have gravy left over too, you can just use that - i tend to make it so that the mixture is covered in gravy but not too runny so that it serves up nicely.

hmmm.... I don't use the gravy mix.

I do:
    500gm beef
    grated veges
    2 beef stock cubes
    2 bay leaves
    1 cup water
    1 tbsp flour with sml amount of water to make paste & stir through above mix after cooked for 20 minutes
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp worstershire sauce

ETA: then I top with mashed potato & pop in the oven, when I was eating dairy I would add grated cheese to the top.

I do the same as Christy, but I also add a teaspoon size dollop of Vegimite..........

Thanks for that everyone!

OK, I am confused.

You make a Shepherd's pie with beef?

I thought it was lamb, hence the lamb on the inside, fluffy white stuff on the outside analogy...

Yep traditional Shepherds Pie is supposed to be Lamb... what most aussies make and call shepherds pie (with beef) is actually "cottage pie" Shepherds Pie originates from scotland from memory... I only know this because I have one of those mini womens weekly cookbooks with scottish cooking and there's a blurb about it LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

you can add a jar of fruit chutney to the mix as well. Very yummy!!
    mince, fuit chutney, onion,and then the potato on top! with grated cheese through the potato as well
    paprika sprinkled on top of potato for colour
    delicious!