Thread: Snags

Smile Snags

Im sick of having snags and salad or vegies.

I always feel like curried snags but i cant make them as good as mum!

Does any one have any other good recipies to make with snags.....feel like something nice for dinner.!

*TamaraP* Guest

I did have one - I will try and find it before I get off.

*TamaraP* Guest

Spicy Sausage and basil pilaf

500g Sausages (it says lamb but I use normal)
    1 tbsp Peanut Oil
    2 Brown onions thinly sliced
    1 garlic clove crushed
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground corriander
    1/2 tsp ground tumeric
    2 cups basmatic rice
    4 cups beef stock
    1 red capsicum chopped
    1/2 cup basil leaves, torn.

Basically cook sausages, then remove to cool.
    Add onion and garlic cook until soft, then add spices mix through until fragrant. Add rice to same saucepan (I use the same pan throughout to keep flavour). Stir in stock and capsicum Bring to boil and simmer for 10mins or until rice is cooked.
    Stir in sausage and basil (basmati rice soaks up the stock) - cover and serve in 5 mins.

I know this sounds odd but my Nan used to make curried sausages with milk. Always a favourite. Not exactly sure how she did it will try to find out but I know that she used to sweat the curry powder off first before adding anything else and then would add onions rings, cook till soft and then add the milk. I think she also boiled the sausages separately and when partially cooked cut them into bite-sized pieces and added to the curry mix.

Have you tried the curry hot pot packs from the supermarket cheating I know but ooohhhhh soooo yummy and sooo easy, I think the brand is actually 'hot pot' they also do a savory hot pot too which is yummy.

its in a green box with I think red and yellow writting and is usually right at the bottom of the shelf under all the gravies and other hot pot mixes etc.

This is very easy and very tasty! I'll give you the full recipe, but I halve it for us.

Sausage & Potato Goulash Serves 8

750g good quality sausages, sliced into rounds 1cm thick
    2 Tbs olive oil
    30g butter
    1 large red onion, finely chopped
    1-2 tsp sweet paprika
    1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
    250g tinned diced tomatoes
    1/2 cinnamon quill
    1 bay leaf
    2 Tbs chopped parsley

Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-based pan (I use my cast iron) and saute onion for a couple of minutes over med. heat. Stir in paprika, cook for 30 seconds and then add sausages. Continue cooking, stirring fairly often until sausages are golden. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, cinnamon and bay leaf and 500ml water (remeber to adjust this if you are halving recipe) season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.

Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes are softened and the soup is thick and stewy. Stir from time to time to make sure it doesn't stick to the pot ( I only do this two or three times). Mix parsley through and serve.

I like some really nice bread to mop up all the yummy juices!

Sausage Pasta Bake
    6 snags cooked and cut up
    Cook enough pasta (I use spirals, for however many people youhave!!)
    Steam some vegies like carrots, broccholi, zuccini for about 4 minutes
    Add all of this together in a baking dish and add a jar of tomato based pasta bake sauce or even a normal pasta sauce and stir.
    Top with cheese and bake for about 10 minutes!

Very easy and yummy!!