Thread: suggestions for vietnamese food in melbourne (eastern suburbs)?

Default suggestions for vietnamese food in melbourne (eastern suburbs)?

i am hanging out a bit in melbourne - one night a week for a couple of months - and am absolutely hanging for some good vietnamese food (i am also vego but can handle meat broths).

not being a local i would love any recommendations for restaurants/cafes that serve up a good noodle soup (with vietnamese mint, chillies, lemon and bean sprouts on the side IYKWIM). the more plastic decor the better too.....

oh BTW i stay in Camberwell but i can't find anything there so will happily travel further afield.

TIA

dusty- there's heaps of great asian food in box hill, i can't think of the name of the one we've been to, but maybe....indochine or something....i'll try to think of it and let you know. also, victoria street in Richmond is full of great cheap asian food.

Tien Dat in Box Hill! It's in Carrington Road, a few doors up from Station Street. Yum Yum Yum! Very plastic, very popular.

Indochine was nice the last time I went there, but it was a few years ago.

There are lots and lots of cheap and super yummy places on Victoria Street in Richmond. We have eaten at Tran Tran which is quite a big place though, but more often we go for a wander up there and just choose a place that looks interesting!! We have been to probably 5-6 and never had bad food there.

Saigon Orchid in Glen Waverely is really nice too for a night out but is a bit more expensive.

Ditto to Victoria street Richmond... I just hate parking there!!!!! Also Box Hill & Springvale!

We got to an Indonesian place called Nelayan on Glenferrie road (MLC end).. It's yummy!!

ahhh you wonderful melbourne gals are fantastic. looks like i will be eating my way around town for a couple of months...i actually spent my first decade in box hill but i left before i developed a taste for vietnamese.......thanks muchly!

mm indonesian too sounds great!

Tracey - we park at Vic Gardens and walk up - that way we can do a little Ikea shopping while we are there too!!

Theres one called pacific something or other, pacific house maybe, on Victoria St thats great. (ETA ITs chinese not vietnamese, but lost of spicy dishes, not your average chinese) There also used to be a vegetarian vietnamese restaurant on victoria st, closer to the burnley st end, that did mock verisons of everything with potato flour etc. I think its called vegetarian paradise.
    Van Van and Tran Tran are quite good. DEcor leaves a lot be be desired atmost but the food makes up for it.

If you are in area of docklands and looking for something special, try out "Bopha Devi", cambodian restaurant. They also have another restaurant in Yarraville. mmmm Cambodian!

i love the daggy plastic decor ray ray, it seems more authentic to me thanks hun.

kate where is docklands? i presume near the city on the river? i haven't had cambodian before.
    Last edited by dusty; January 19th, 2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: ETA

Our favourite is Viet Star on Glenferrie road, just north of Glenferrie Station. It's been a while since we have been there (over a year) but the food is/was devine. Very authentic. The decor is modern though, very clean (I'm fussy about cleanliness). Highly recommended if they are still there.

Dan Hungs on victoria St is AWSOME! Ohhhhhh vietnamese chicken coleslaw. mmmmmmmmmm.

Dusty,
    Yep, janie is right Tien Dat in Box Hill is great! so is Indochine but they might be a bit upmarket for you if you want seriously bad decor and plastic tables, one of the first and most authentic cheap vietnamese in box hill is called Kim Thuy Vy. Now that is probably spelt completely wrong. I used to go there once a week 15 years ago and it is still there with the same people. Not a big menu - just the old faithfuls. It is in Station St but almost on the corner of whitehorse rd on the south west corner.
    Vietnamese pancakes and any of their spring rolls are to die for (and vego too!).
    Last edited by anney; January 19th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.

Dusty

Docklands is close to the CBD, between Bourke and La Trobe St, not far from Spencer St (and Southern Cross Train Station (used to be called Spencer St Station)).

Bopha devi, the Cambodian restaurant, also has their own website if you wanna check out their menu. just add dot com to their name. They are a bit pricey, but that's cos they at the Docklands!

The food is too die for!

thanks ladies
    i finally got my noodle soup today - in Box Hill. mmmmm chilli, lemon, mint etc it was sooooo great.
    next week i am going to try out some of more suggestions above!