Thread: thin cream - as opposed to thickened

Default thin cream - as opposed to thickened

i.e. not double.

I have a recipe that calls for 600ml think cream and 600ml thickened cream.

Now, am I right to assume thickened cream is the regular whippping cream int he tubs, its not the really thick double cream is it?

So whats thin cream - I went to 2 supermarkets last night, and 'thickened' was the runniest they had

I think that thicken cream is the stuff you can whip and thin cream is the stuff you cant and it will be call pouring cream....

But this is just a guess from a none cooker
    Last edited by New Dawn; March 12th, 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling as always

It is sometimes called pouring cream or single cream.

In our supermarket it comes in little 300ml mini milk cartons rather than the plastic bottle style containers that the thickened cream comes in.

Thin cream, could be 1 of 2 things. Pouring cream as suggested, or cream with no gelatin or thickeners added. I am pretty sure there is a natural unthickened cream in a jar that you can purchase, its also vegetarian (no gelatin) and organic.

I think pauls has a "pure" cream that has nothing added and is wuite runny

There is "Thin cream" -pouring or whipping cream, Thickened cream and Double cream ( I think pura do a double thickened cream too lol)

Thickened cream is simply pouring cream, with thickeners or gelatin added, as Cai said. "Normal" cream or thin cream is whipping or pouring cream.
    Double cream is the really thick stuff that sticks to your spoon.

Where is the recipe from? The name given to different cream is different in the UK and Europe.

its from the taste website, for "chocolate hot cross bun bread and butter pudding"
    OK my supermarket doesnt have any of those things (pouring, thin, whipping) looks lke DH will make normal B&B pudding and leave this one til I can find the ingredients. Only 3 more coles, 4 woolies and 3 IGAs to check, and thats just locally. lol.