Thread: Tinned Cream? (and gloating)

Default Tinned Cream? (and gloating)

Has anyone used tinned cream? We had a couple of the Man's friends over last night and I didn't have any fresh cream or ice cream to serve with pudding I made at the last minute (but made custard instead). Just wondering what its like, for 'emergencies' such as this, and if its possible to whip with any success.

Also, just need to add.... One of the guys last night was a cook, and the other was a chef, I think (or another cook, but pretty sure chef), and they both thought my cooking was fab! Made a highly butchered version of ss_storm's tuna mornay (my cupboard is VERY bare!), and the cook liked it. The chef didn't have it since he ate just before coming over, but promised to try the dessert, even though he's not a sweets person. My butterscotch pudding won him over, and I feel extra special since he doesn't even try the cook's deserts! Yay me. Sorry, just had to gloat! Oh, adding further, cook volunteered chef to cook dinner next time, and cook offered to do all the dishes! These two can visit anytime! (And they are good with the kids, an extra bonus)

We always have tinned cream in the cupboard for cooking emergencies, but haven't used it as a topping.

Never knew there was such a thing...how cool!
    Where abouts do they usually keep it at the supermarket??

I think I have seen it with either the carnation milk or the instant puddings and the like. Sorry, forget which! I'll look tomorrow if I go to the supermarket.

Well done Netix! Was that my tuna mornay recipe?? I'll have to tell my mum as I stole it off her! It's one of my favourites.

I can't recall if I've ever used the tinned cream...actually I think maybe I might have once? Normally I just have a couple of the little (250ml) UHT thickened cream in the pantry, which are great to have on hand, and don't have to worry about not being able to cook something because you don't have 'fresh' cream on hand, I assume the tinned cream would be fairly similar. And I think it's with the tinned evaporated milk/condensed milk etc.

Yes, it was your tuna mornay she says, looking sheepish.... But, like I said, HIGHLY butchered; made with pasta, not much cheese, finely chopped and caramelised onion, corn kernels and carrot. That was all I had! But it had breadcrumbs on top (but not butter or extra cheese!) I have wanted to make tuna mornay for ages, but never seen a recipe that stood out as looking yum. When my pantry is stocked up (its SO empty atm, its embarrassing), I will make it properly.

UHT cream. Maybe that's what I was thinking.... Maybe I was thinking tinned after seeing a tin of coconut cream in my pantry.... I'm so confused!

You can get tinned cream or UHT cream with the UHT milks in the supermarket

the UHT cream is delicious served with scones never had a problem with whipping it etc and it has a fair shelf life

Okay, cool, thanks Rach75. I was a bit worried that it might be like 'lite' thickened cream and totally useless to whip (I bought that only once)! Excellent, I will buy some when my food budget returns!

Thanks Sarah.

I always have long life cream for such emergencies. It works exactly the same way as normal cream does & the best thing is it takes ages to go off cos it has a long use by on it so no more chucking out fresh cream.

Cool, I'll be getting some then