Thread: Tomato recipes

Default Tomato recipes

Help!! I am drowning in a sea of tomatoes and need recipes to use them up. It all started with dad giving me a few kilos that he'd grown, then the lady next door sent over a kilo cause she'd bought too many and then my ILs come up with a few kilos of their homegrown ones. Does anyone have a good pasta sauce recipe or similar. I refuse to make chutney cause no one here will touch it LOL.

hmm i would just blanch them, peel the skin off and blend them together with some parsley, onion, garlic and that would be my pasta sauce I dont actually know a real recipe as such.

You could start having a lot of salads, try scooping out the insides and stuffing them with mince meat, or just stuffing mix?

I would also just crush the rest, and put them in the freezer so you can take them out as you need them for sauce, or casseroles etc

Thanks Danni, I hadn't thought of freezing them like that.

Hello, I just cook up a big ratatouille and freeze it in dinner sized containers. Your pick of meditteranean veggies plus plenty of onion to sweeten it up and off you go!

My Italian friend explained that if you want really good sauce you need to both peel and also de-seed the toms, the seeds can make your sauce a bit bitter. Involves preboiling the tomatoes whole, then squishing them through a sieve, a long messy process but you get a much better puree at the end. Sorry I don't have an actual recipe tho.

i make a "rustic" tomato sauce - saute onion and garlic, chop up tomatoes and add them in, some dry white wine, and some herbs (i use the italian herbs mix and basil, then some fresh parsley). let it simmer and add some olives. Its really yummy, i got it off Hueys cooking. we serve it over ravioli. Its delicious and really easy!!

Marydean- thanks for that, don't know if I can be bothered sieving etc but I have heard that deseeding etc is better too.
    Simone- that sounds great, do you preserve it in jars?

i dont preserve it marydean, but i spose it could be done!! even the kids eat it (they love the tri colour ravioli ) and i grate cheese. Huey also put chunk of mozerella in just before he served it. SOmething diff - i just grate cheddar over the top as i serve it!!

Fraser Guest

I make a tomato salad that my Nanna used to make - I guess you could make it in bulk

slice the tomatoes and a bunch of onions, in a wide dish place a layer of tomato and a layer of onion some ripped up mint leaves some sea salt and cracked black pepper - keep making these layers until you have enough then drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar - leave in fridge for a few hours, or over night.

goes great with plain salad or meat dishes. I love it as an antipasto or ploughmans lunch type thing with cheese and pickles etc etc

Melinda Guest

What about making relish?!

OMG I LOVE home-made relish.......I've never made it myself though I must admit.