Thread: Turkey and stuffing

Question Turkey and stuffing

Hey guys, I know this is a little overdue, but my FIL just gave me a HUGE 5 kilo turkey :eek:

I am very excited about cooking my first ever, but I need to stuff it!

So.....with what do I stuff it and how?

Should I glaze the skin with anything? Should I put it on a rack or on a dish, and do I turn it at all during cooking?

Thanks a million

anyone? I would love the stuffing to taste like a normal bought bbq chook

Ok Danni, here is what I would do.......

If you like BBQ chook stuffing, buy a box of stuffing from the supermarket and use that. Make it up and stuff the bird up its bum. But I would also stuff a peeled onion and 2 halves or an orange up there first, as a turkey cavity is massive, and you will need sopmething else apart from the plain stuffin to fill it and keep it moist.

In terms of how to cook it, I would use a big roasting dish, chop some carrots and celery and lay these in the base, add some black pepper and some olive oil, and rest the bird on top of the veggies. Make sure the skin of the bird is really dry, then lay strips of bacon over the breast of the bird (again, keeps it moist).

Then over the whole lot with al foil and roast. No need to turn or anything.

Take the al foil and the bacon off about 20 mins before you take the bird out of the oven, to crisp the skin.

You will need to leave the bird for at leat 30 mins before carving.

All of the juices and veggies etc in the bottom of the roasting pan: use this for gravy.

HTH.........

I use the stuffing mix too, and I add 1 onion, 3 cloves garlic whole and then I mix in the stuffing mix 1/4 cup of dried cranberries.

I do very similar to Lucy in that I cook my turkey on veges like carrot and celery and oilive oil. I don't do the bacon though

I do bacon on chooks and turkey. Yummy.... The other thing you can try is pork crackling over the turkey. Yum yum yum!!
    We made a great stuffing the other day using:
    3 peeled cooked sausages
    a few slices of brown bread (I dont have white )
    some parsley
    shallots
    salt and pepper
    and you can use an egg to bind it. It was really nice