thread: "Use by" date question

Jul 2008
    Brisbane

Red face "Use by" date question

Hi ladies

This is probably a silly question and up until being pregnant, has been one I have never bothered asking.

Background: I bought some minced beef this week and its use by date was yesterday. So last night I made a whole stack of spag bol with it and now have it all packed in my fridge as left overs for today (I am aware that leftovers need to be eaten within 12 hours of prep).

My question is: does the use by date mean you need to prepare it before the date specified or that you need to have consumed it by the date specified?

I have been doing a family poll (haha) and everyone seems to think that as long as I have cooked it by the use by date (yesterday) it should be fine to have as left-overs today (even although today is one day past the use by date).

You are all so helpful with things like this and I really appreciate being able to ask you silly questions and still know that I will atill get some answers! Thanks

Sam xx

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

I *think* its ok if you cooked it in date, but Id still only eat it if I wasnt pregnant, Im very overly cautious with food though.

Jul 2008
    Brisbane

Thanks rayray. I am also overly cautious and it has been bugging me since yesterday, which probably means I should just avoid it. Doesn't seem worth it just to save a couple of bucks...

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

as long as it's cooked by use by you'll be fine. if you're not going to eat it today, get it in the freezer ASAP though. and only defrost to eat straight away

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I'm underly cautious, and I'd say it's fine. Often use by dates are early enough to cover a company's butt well and truly.

Jul 2008
    Brisbane

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Really appreciate it