Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what can i do with tuna

DoubleK Guest

Default what can i do with tuna

i have a few cans of tuna in the cupboard from Chrisco, dp and i both dont eat tuna, but id like to try dd on it.

is there a quick easy way i can serve tuna? i wouldnt know where to start, or what i could use it in!

Here's a few of my favourite recipes I use tuna in, have passed my mum's recipe for tuna mornay onto a few friends and they love it, so I'd definitely recommend giving it a go!

Tuna Mornay

60g butter
    1/3 cup plain flour
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1 chicken stock cube
    1/3 cup grated cheese
    425g can tuna, drained
    1/4 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
    1 cup frozen peas
    2 hard boiled eggs (sliced)
    Topping:
    1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
    30g melted butter
    1/3 cup grated cheese

Heat butter in pan, stir in flour and stir over dry heat until dry and grainy. Remove from heat and gradually add milk and crumbled stock cube. Stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in cheese, tuna, peas and peppercorns, gently fold in eggs. Pour into ovenproof dish and sprinkle with topping (combine topping ingredients and mix well). Bake in moderate oven 25 mins or until browned on top. Serve with rice.

Tuna Cakes

415g can tuna
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion (or I just use a normal brown onion)
    1/3 cup finely chopped celery
    2 tablespoons dill
    1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1/4 cup breadcrumbs
    plain flour, olive oil

Drain tuna and place in bowl with onion, celery, dill, sweet chilli sauce, mayo and breadcrumbs. Combine well and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Line tray with baking paper. Form mixture into patties, place on tray, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 40 minutes (or you can make in the morning and leave until you're ready to cook them at dinner time). Lightly coat with flour and cook in olive oil until brown and warmed through. Drain on paper towel and serve (nicest with a salad or something like that).

Creamy Tuna Pasta

350g fettucine or spaghetti
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 cup thin cream (I just use the UHT thickened cream)
    2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste (or just tomato paste)
    425g can tuna, drained
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
    100g semi-dried tomatoes (I've never used them)

Cook pasta as per packet directions, drain and toss with half the oil. Heat remaining oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 mins or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 min. Stir in cream and tomato paste then add tuna and peas. Heat for 1-2 mins. Stir in half the parsley and tomatoes, add pasta and season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir until heated through (and peas are cooked). Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley.

sorry posted twice for some strange reason!
    Last edited by ss_storm; March 24th, 2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: double post

I love tuna with mashed potato, peas and corn.

Simple.

Make mashed potato
    Boil/Steam peas and corn
    When above are cooked mix together with a tin of tuna (drain the tuna first) and serve yummo!

maybe a pastabake? my DS loves it. its not hard buy a tunabake from the shops. follow the instructions. boil some pasta,put it in a baking tray,open the jar tip it over the pasta aswell as the tuna put some cheese on top and bake for 15mins

MY DS whos 1 loves tuna and mayo sammies.

1 small can of tuna mixed with 3 or 4 dollops of bestfoods mayonaise spread on to 1 slice of bread fold and squeeze.. Walaaa lunch!!

quick and easy if you dont like tuna your self is give it to the cat

or mix it with manonase ( sp ? ) and get as a snack with dry bickies my kids love it like this... but if you dont like tuna the chances are you want like the smell and it goes everywhere hand and breath are foul....

I mix tuna in with the continental pasta packets. Love them.
    I used to mix it in with avo on a sandwich for DS too.

we mash it with an avocado and some grated cheese, and DS eats it on toast.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    we mash it with an avocado and some grated cheese, and DS eats it on toast.
    OMG yummo!!! Just the tuna and avo or tuna and mayo with avo? Ooh ooh you know what else would be nice with it...chopped up red onion!

I am so glad you started this thread

When I am not eating tuna with mashed potato, peas and corn I eat it plain with vinegar, just drain, add vinegar and eat!

I have 9 tins in the cupboard at the moment so it is great to get some more inspiration for quick and easy meals as DH doesn't eat it only me.

never tried it with mayo, just the tuna (if its not in oil, I add a bit of olive oil)

tuna pesto pasta - cook pasta and drain. Mix up a tin of tuna and some pesto in the saucepan over a very low heat. Add the pasta. Serve with or without cheese.

tuna jacket potato. Shove potato in the microwave for about 5 mins. Cut it open. Mix tuna together with cream cheese and sweetcorn. Add to the potato as a filling.

For sandwiches for us I drain it & then add vinegar & chopped up raw brown onion.
    (Its the ONLY time I eat onion not burnt, & brown is the only type of onion I will eat.)
    Then we'll have cheese, or spread avo on it too.........Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm hungry now!

i have it on a sandwich/toastie with mayo, lettuce, cheese and onion(minus lettuce for toastie)

also just with a mixed salad instead of chicken/ham.

DD takes it to school and has it with jatz

I love tuna pesto pasta, too! I add a chopped onion, some crushed garlic, baby capers, white wine, lemon juice, and paprika to mine though. I also add a big handful of baby spinach leaves right at the end when I've taken it off the heat. And gluten-free pasta for me and DP

Tuna Chili Dip with Phili cheese and onion (DELISH on fresh broken loaf).

Tuna pasta (really easy and soo yummy) in a frypan cook some anchovies in hot oil (don't worry you won't taste them in the dish) add roughly chopped garlic when the anchovies have melted. Add a tin of tomatoes, then a tin of tuna some capers and some white wine. Stir through some fresh pasta and YUMMO!

Tuna Rice Bake (I made this last night), make a white sauce add some garlic onion, and a sprinkling of french onion soup mix (to taste), add some tasty cheese, dried dill and parsley. Then Add some tinned corn, cooked rice and tuna. Stir to combine, put into a baking dish top with mozza, tasty and parmesan and bake till golden serve with a salad. I REALLY cheated last night by using ready to eat rice. You can also add other veg like baby spinach, asparagus whatever you have in the cupboard really. We have this as a throw together quick meal. Not entirely from scratch but healthier than 2 minute noodles or maccas

I am at home at the moment but very little time for making meals. Best, easy lunch time meal i heat some rice (cooked in rice cooker and frozen in packages), add a small can of flavoured tuna (sweet chilli , terriyaki or curry) mix it up. if i don't have flavoured tuna i just add sweet chilli sauce.

easy, pretty healthy and quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast