Thread: What will your 2 yo eat for dinner

Default What will your 2 yo eat for dinner

Hello,

I am having trouble thinking of new and creative things to make for dinner that my 2yo will like as well. She has become a little fussy with vegies lately (her favourite word is no atm). I also want to encourage her to feed herself.

Any ideas?

Milo likes

sausages (shosh-os)
    spaghetti - I chop it small enough that he can use a spoon
    rice - plain or with extras. He loves "riceman" (fried rice)
    chicken pieces - stir fry, nuggets, kebabs (removed from the skewer!)
    sandwiches
    tuna and avocado mash, sometimes with grated cheese
    vegemite
    savoury pancakes
    fritatta
    meatballs/felafels

Our daughter pretty much eats whatever we eat and digs right into it. She loves pasta and rice and would happily eat it without anything else. She eats stirfries, meat/fish/chicken,masged /boiled/ baked/ roasted potato, veggies- steamed/ baked/ stirfried, she has a go at salad. I guess the trick is just to serve it up, they will eat it eventually. Some days Tori doesnt touch her veggies other days she eats them all, I just serve it up everyday so that she knows that it is normal and then we just have a no stress no fuss policy- she eats what she eats and leaves what she doesnt want.

ChristieN Guest

We do the same thing as Ali. I wonder how DD functions sometimes on the lil food she eats but if she's hungry she'll eat... If she eats all her dinner she's offered a dessert, not as a reward but on the assumption she has some room for it, otherwise dessert isn't mentioned.

We just serve Jacob what ever we eat.. If he doesn't eat his dinner then so be it. but usually he is pretty good.

What does she normally like to eat?

Matilda loved:

pasta & bolognaise sauce
    tuna morney
    turkey meatballs & chips (homemade for both)
    stir fry
    fried rice
    noodle stir fry
    soups
    quesadillas (I will explain)
    burritos and tacos

Quesadillas are a "cheese sandwich" in tex mex lingo... When I grew up it means putting cheese in between 2 tortillas & chucking it in a fry pan with a little marg or butter in it and getting both sides nice and crispy, we would put a dollop of salsa & sour cream on top. My girls are allergic to milk products so we put beans & rice in the middle & fry it up now & put guacomole on top and cut it like a pizza. We call them mexican pizzas at our house LOL.

DS is obsessed with cherry tomatoes - has them for lunch and dinner. He also likes pasta, rice, sausages and some vegies if they have horse (sauce) on them. I find he's more inclined to eat if he has his own fork. He doesn't use it really but likes to feel he's grown up enough to have one like mummy and daddy do.

I also forgot to say that I find Tori eats much much better when we are all eating dinner together, and even when we are eating the same thing as she is she likes to pick things off our plate.

Maddy is a chicken sushi nut. You should have seen her at the sushi store yesterday....kept eating them off my plate. She also loves generally anything involving rice or pasta. Spaghetti is one of her favourites. Lately she's started eating more meat, and will pick the meat out of stir-fries and eat that. She loves sausages and will eat chicken and fish as well. "Chippies" are another fav but we do try to limit those.

Vegetables are more of a challenge. She loves to chew at corn on the cob and she'll generally eat potato and peas as well. Other than that she's not really a fan. We're not overly concerned at this point as she eats a huge amount of fruit but I'm going to keep rotating the vegies in hope she'll begin to eat more.

She's also discovered she loves scrambled eggs on toast and I can even smuggle in a bit of mushroom & baby tomato in those and she'll eat them.

ETA - That I forgot I can trick her into eating spinach as well. I make a mean spinach & bacon frittata and she goes crazy over it. Must be all that cheese and eggs! *L*