Thread: Who Else Is Losing Their Sweet Tooth As They Get Older?

Default Who Else Is Losing Their Sweet Tooth As They Get Older?

I remember as a kid wondering how my grandparents could "not like" lollies very much... maybe they would have one or two chocolates but that was it.... yet me and my sister would polish off a whole bag.

Well now I am starting to understand. It's not just my aging teeth (the occasional sweet thing will set my "teeth on edge") but it's also my tongue... sugar just doesn't seem to agree with me as much as it used to. These days I notice that awful furry feeling you get from eating/drinking too much sugar and I HATE that.

And I notice the mood swing that accompanies sugar overdoses too.... and don't like that either.

So all-in-all there's about 4 or 5 reasons that I also find myself saying to my kids "no thanks sweet heart" when they offer me a suck of their lollypop etc.

Anyone else find this?

BTW I only starting noticing this in my early/mid 30's. I'm 39 now. I was never really what you would call a sweet tooth... I did like my chocolate but now days I avoid the cheap and nasty compound stuff... and Freddo Frogs <--- are the WORST for setting my teeth on edge! I have healthy teeth on the whole... a bit of gum recession but it's not significant... I can still eat pavlova etc without my teeth hurting... just not Freddo Frogs.

Yep, me.

I remember as a student having a big, family size block of chocolate for dinner sometimes. Actually, quite often. And I was skinny as a rake. Now the thought of doing that makes me feel sick.

Now I just don't really 'do' chocolate. I didn't have any Easter eggs, just not interested but I get mad, overwhelming cravings for sushi.

If I do eat chocolate, I prefer something like Old Gold and I am partial to desserts, I just have to be in the mood.

Just as well because DP is a complete chocaholic and my life wouldn't be worth living if I took 'his' chocolate.

He's a train driver and there was the famous Caramello Bear Incident where he bit the head off the bear and the caramel went all over the controls of the train (whilst driving). He also had one of the managers in the cab with him who was not impressed. The idea of a grown man just having to have his Caramello Bear fix while driving a train still makes me laugh.

Oh me too! I have gone off sweet things over hte past year or so too. I hadn't thought about it being associated with age.

I'm 21 and on the whole, I have more of a savoury tooth than a sweet one. The only thing I like covered in sugar is my weetbix (I'm assuming where this thread popped up from Bath lol), I can't eat a full dessert, cake of any kind is too sweet, and I prefer dark chocolate if I'm having it.

I don't really think age has to do with it so much, but I do remember thinking "Why doesn't mum want chocolate all the time like me?"

LOL at that Carmello Incident Fiona! How funny... I can just "see" the other drivers stern expression! Still I'd rather deal with a sticky consol than a smokey cabin... if given the choice I guess! It must be nerve racking being a train driver... I'd cut him a bit of slack

Tinkerbell: The first time I found myself being unable to face eating chocolate or something sweet was when I was morning sick for the first time. I tend to have a very strong memory and can recall the particular feeling of queasiness at the time... and it kinda comes back at weird times like an illicit drug flash back LOL

Ashlee: yep LOL sprung from the weetbix thread! I kinda started to feel that afore mentioned queasiness at reading about all the people who pile sugar onto cereal And yes I am constantly reducing the amount of sugar I add to cake etc recipes. I think the western world basically has forgotton what the real flavour of food IS... everything is masked by sugar!