Thread: Bed Time?

Default Bed Time?

I am curius to know people's thoughts on an appropriate bed/sleep time for a 7 and 9 year old boys who share a bedroom. thanks

When I shared a room with my sister when I was that age we had to be in bed by 8.30pm. I think that was a good time coz we still had time to do stuff after dinner but we weren't going to bed too late. However we were allowed to read in bead so I probly stayed up till 10.30pm reading anyway.

Thanks skittlebub, the boys bed time has been 7.30pm for ages but its been a struggle to get them into bed by then, especially as I work fulltime and do the cooking so tea is never that early. I'd been thinking of making it more like 8.30 but they would prob not go to sleep unitl about 9.30pm and I wondered if that was too late?

My son is 9yrs and at 8pm he brushes his teeth and can then either read or play his PSP in bed until 8.30pm.

Either DH or I go in at 8.30pm and turn the lights off... and he's always asleep when we check on him around 9pm.

I think the half hour of 'winding down' time in bed at 8pm makes sure he doesn't lie awake for too long.

On the weekends (or in the summer when he's not playing Saturday morning soccer),he usually goes to bed around 10.30pm.. But he does sleep in a little later on the weekends as well.

HTH!

DD is 8 and she goes to bed at about 8pm. I would maybe let the older one stay up half an hour later to have some time with you, its a bit hard for him to have to go to bed the same time as his younger brother maybe?

My DS is 9 years old, and goes to bed between 6.30 and 7.00 on week nights - but is permitted to stay up a little later on weekends.

DS, 9, shares with DS, 3.

My son is 8 and a half and he usually goes to bed by 7:30 on schol nights. he is still up tonight but 8 is ok. occassionally on the weekend we will let him stay up a bit later but he doesn't cope well with late nights

My son is 10 and a 1/2. he stays up till 8.30 then can read for 30 or 40 minutes. His little sister is 8 and she goes to bed at 8.30 and is expected to have her lights off and go straight to sleep. As much as i love daylight savings it is so much easier to get them to sleep at a reasonable time when its darker earlier. It is such a battle at the moment A bit like butting your head on bricks. Saying over and over"GEt back to bed"

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Since the start of the school term (5 weeks ago) the boys have been going to bed at 8pm with lights out at 8.30pm. This has been working really well. We did consider having Isaac (the older one) staying up later but the bboys are very close and he actually didn't like the idea- they often read together or chat and choose to share a bedroom. Thanks again!