Thread: how much does

Default how much does

you 5 yr old weigh?

*Not sure if this is the right spot but someone please move if it wrong*

My Son will be 5 in September and we noticed over the last few weeks he really doesn't eat much.. He is extremely thin.. He is 110cm tall and weighs 18kg..

you can see his ribs and when he is leaning over slightly is spine just sticks out.

I know he has gotten taller but surely that wouldn't just explain the sudden thin ness..

We are going to take him to the Dr on monday but I was just curious what others weighed at this age

oh and also should mention he is generally still active.. he is a little tired this week as he has a tiny cold

His growth spurt could explain his thinness. My nephew is 10 years old and is extremely tall for his age. He would get a small pot belly a month or so before a growth spurt, we would think he is finally putting on weight and within a fortnight he would be a string bean again. He is just naturally tall and thin (exactly like his dad).

If you are concerned get him checked by a GP and maybe a dietician who may be able to recommend some specific foods which would help keep his nutrients up since he is a small eater. Some kids are small eaters and some are big. All depends on their metabolism I think!

my soon to be 5 yr old weighs the same - might be slightly shorter (haven't measured him lately) and he eats more than enough as far as I can see and a mixture of healthy and junk and is not an over zealous exercise just an average 4.5yr old who watches tv plays outside, rides bikes etc. visits doctors relatively regularly for ear infections etc and have never had a concern when they've weighed him for antibiotics etc.

My DD3 turned 5 a few weeks ago and i just weighed her she is 20.5kg i think she may be taller than your DS just a little. My DD2 is 7 in september and is 24.5kg she is pretty thin and quite tall. So your son is probably just fine, there are so many things to worry about and my DD2 is very very very fussy, she sniffs pokes and disects everything before she even thinks about eating it, i sometimes wonder how she survives on the little amount of food she eats and then sometimes she can eat all day so i guess it all evens out.

Thanks for the responses.. I will still take him to our GP for a check up..

His arms and legs are just so tiny.. nothing to them.. When he came out after his bath tonight I was just looking at him thinking omg you look so small.. He is a worry that boy.. I will feel better once the GP tells me all is good..

morgan78 Guest

Darl - get him check for your peace of mind, but if you have a look at the growth charts in Olivia's red book he is on the 50th percentile for both height & weight.
    I've looked at Alex lately and thought how skinny he looks and he's recently had a big growth spurt so hopefully for you thats all it is.

I was to lazy lol to get up and get the book but I looked at them online and they say he is above the 50% line for both height and weight..

I am not so much concerned I guess by his weight but the fact there is absolutly nothing to him.. His chest feels like concrete as there is nothing between his bones and skin kwim? his arms are so small.. you can wrap yor fingers easily around his upper arms..

I swear this boy is a constant worry.. literally since the day he was born we watch him like a hawk and every little thing catches our eye.. I like the kids to have a bit of "meat" on them so if they get sick they have weight to lose but Isaac has nothing..

I am making the app in the morning for either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning..