Thread: My 12 year old nephew....at a lose.

Default My 12 year old nephew....at a lose.

My nephew is 12 yrs old and is very fussy eater. i think is over weight and eats alot of junk food.
    I am unsure on how i can help with this. My sister and BIL aren't good examples cause eat alot of unhealthy food. today at school he would only eat jelly beans and not a sandwich and the teacher told him he has to eat his sanwich.

My 3 and half yr old eats more then he does, he doesn't like vegies,only two types of meat and thats about it

can someone help me

are you is carer at all? otherwise i think you'd need to take it up with his parents first...

I agree with Teagz that you'd need to talk to his parents unless your his carer. But when he is with you (sounds like you with him a bit) there's nothing stopping you making him nice yummy healthy food! There are loads of healthy recipes kids like, as long as they don't realise it's healthy, lol. And you can always chat to him about the benefits of healthy eating.

On the flip side, does he exercise much? Could you arrange taking him out for a walk or bike ride each afternoon or something?

Talking to his parents is like talking to a thick brick wall, its always someone else's fault.

I am with him quite a bit but when it comes to food things he is usually at my mums house.

No he doesn't Ktee, sits in front of computer games all the time.

Ty for letting me vent and giving me some ideas.

That doesn't sound good hun!

Is your mum with you on this? Could you try together to get him eating healthier? Unfortunately I think if the parents aren't willing to make any changes though he doesn't have a great deal of hope - he'll learn all his lifestyle (eating/exercising) habits from them. Are they not watching that Jamie Oliver thing? They need something that will truly shock them, like the fact that if they don't look after their son they are essentially shortening his life expectancy (I know it sounds extreme, but if habits like these continue it will only get worse for him in future).

Sorry I'm not much help, but I do think if you can get your mum on side too as she spends a bit of time with him together you might be able to get somewhere

Unfortunately, unless his parents are willing to get on board, there really is nothing you can do.

I would suggest you just make yourself open and available to him if he ever wants to talk, and make him aware (without making him self conscious) that if he ever wants help, you can and will help him.

Misty: i have done that and lately he has been opening up to me, i even told one kid off @ his school for bullying him lol ( outside of school grounds). Ive offered to help him in regards to homework as he hates school has far too many days off. but i guess i cant help someone who doesnt really wanna be helped.

Ktee: it is not good it gets worse every year. You talk to his parents they say its the schools fault its this persons fault never theirs. To them he is a burdon to them and doesnt have a good relationship with his dad either.

I think good examples need to start in the home - parents must have a responsibility in this. They purchase the food that their son then consumes. How frustrating!