Thread: Hmm... what to do with DD2

Question Hmm... what to do with DD2

DD2 is 5 & in kindy (first year of primary school) & has always been a loud & overly active child.
    Because she didn't turn 5 til June I was hesitant to send her to school this year, but after lots of thinking & talking to not only her pre school/day care teachers, but the kindy teacher here, I decided I'd send her. She gets bored easily & I thought the stimulation would be good for her.
    On a basic level she is doing well & keeping up with her peers. There is nothing to say she wasn't ready to start. But after reading her half yearly report I'm worried & thinking about taking her to our gp next time I go.
    The main thing the report says is that she talks too much, but not put so bluntly, lol. It also says she needs to work on her fine motor skills.
    I've always thought there is a possibility of her being ADHD or something similar, but didn't really think about it. I didn't think her personality would really be such an issue, but now I'm not so sure.
    She also has a speech delay, which is another reason I sent her to school this year & on that count it has proven to be beneficial, as her speech has improved more over the past 6 months, that any speech therapy she had before. I will be starting therapy with her again soon, but don't have a car at the moment to do so.
    What should I do? I've done diet elimination, which has made a difference, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I think seeing my gp & possibly a paed is the last resort & all I have left that I can do.
    What would you do do you think? Is this the right thing? I really want to get this sorted out now, before it can have a real impact on her schooling iykwim.

First of all, good on you for being proactive and not waiting until there's a major problem before you act.

Have you spoken to her kindy teacher? Do they recommend seeing a GP/Paed? You could always take her to the GP and see if they recommend seeing a paed. They should be able to ask you some preliminary questions that may give a better indication of whether ADHD is a possibility. If she is diagnosed as ADHD, would you like her on medication? If you're looking for something more natural, then can you do some research about alternative ways to manage and try some of them now? The elimination diet is a great start. There are some great behavioural things you can try too. HTH

I haven't had an interview with her teacher yet, coz I don't have a car through the day & can't get to the school, but I will soon.
    I have a gp I trust alot, thats why I'm considering talking to him. I do have to go do some more reading & research on the whole ADHD & all other things it could be, including the best way to help her with her fine motor skills.
    I will try to do that tomorrow, but haven't had the time yet. See what else there is I can do first.

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    The main thing the report says is that she talks too much, but not put so bluntly, lol.
    I quote from my daughter's first semester school report "She needs to listen to lesson and game instructions and reduce her conversation with peers. Her full attention will ensure a better understanding of expectations and a better achievement of the learning and performance outcomes" so I guess you got something like that too

Translation: talks too much, doesn't listen, and isn't doing very well in this subject because of it lol

And I'm in the queue to see a paed. The queue is REALLY long so don't just think about it, do it. You can always change your mind while you're queueing.