Thread: My miracle & natural cure for headlice!!!

Exclamation My miracle & natural cure for headlice!!!

Well, like most of us, nits appeared in our house soon after Jazz started school.

Just like most of us I spent hours of time washing, combing, rinsing, washing again. Not to mention the amount of money I spent on Chemicals! I was trying something new & different every few months!

After 2 years I gave up on the money & would just comb every morning & tie her hair up as tight as possible.

Then mum had an idea... tea tree oil, lavendar oil & water.
    About 1/2 tsp of each oil into a spray bottle, then fill it with water.
    I use this as a contitioning spray in the mornings to style/detangle DD's hair.

It works. Nits can't stand the smell of it & will steer clear of your childs head.

We moved here in November last year. I started using it every morning & the lice just kind of disappeared. Then over chrissy break I got out of routine & forgot, then mum moved out with the precious oils, so I went back to KP24 & Pyrenel foam. I couldn't see a difference after a few weeks, so I went & got the oils & made up the spray again.

THEY ARE GONE!

Not a nit to be seen!
    To remove eggs I comb with a KP24 metal comb after a shower to wash her hair. The comb prongs are side by side & close enough together to grip the eggs & when the hair is wet they just slide off. If hair is dry it will grip to the hair & pull it out, so make sure hair is wet & when its just been washed its still smooth from the conditioner which makes it easier to slide the eggs off too.

So thats my remedy!
    Alot of people find head lice a very taboo subject. It doesn't bother me, every child these days has to deal with them at some stage in their lives. I didn't get them for the first time til I was 14!!

This works for us & I hope it helps someone else!

i have never had them and i dont even know what i would be looking at!
    so i dread the day my kids come home with"itchy heads"...
    but thanks for the tip

yes tea tree oil is an old preventative measure. I have it in a spray bottle here too

We have been using that as a preventative too for years... brilliant huh?

I didn't get head lice until I was 30. I got my DH to go through my hair and I was in tears when I realised I had them... I instantly felt yuck.

its funny how we feel yuck about head lice, but it's clean hair they like

Yeah, they do like clean hair. Mum used to use this after we first got them.
    I tried telling one of my friends about it, but she just said, yeah, I've tried everything. Nothing works.
    Its her DD's friends who are always sharing them. Their mother is all about natural remedies, but doesn't do anything about it.
    I don't know why people would put up with it when they don't have to. Causing the rest of us hell coz we spend so much ytime & money trying to be rid of them.
    I've just had enough & found something that's pretty easy & works, so I thought I'd share
    It really annoys me the number of people who just don't bother. I've met a few.

DoubleK Guest

i'll give it a try... dd has had lice for about a year off and on.... grrrr my main problem, is she wont let us comb her hair... so we can treat it all we like, but no combing!

Oh yeah, its great I've been using it for years too. It's a good idea to squeeze conditioner into the spray too, and make sure her hair is tied back. They like the cleanest hair, it's not like I'm gonna let hair get filthy to avoid nits, so the extra conditioner stops the little buggers sticking....

Yeah, I tie their hair back on school days. Tight pony's & plaits.
    I was washing Jazz's hair only once a week after her last school suggested it, but it's just a habit washing 2 - 3 times a week, lol. I couldn't break it!
    Hair spray is sposed to be good too. & a thick white conditioner for combing coz it actually stuns the lice for a good half hour or so.

Nothing works? Total bollocks - people that say that can't be arsed doing all the combing.....
    Which is a pain I will admit but its the only thing that gets rid of them.

DD16 caught them in a moshpit.....yukko

Thanks for that.. I want a preventative measure..

for those that get the lice use vinegar to kill/stun them.. then rinse then condition and comb..

we use conitioner with tea tree, put shower cap on let sit and then rinse with water and then vinegar.Then comb it to.

i spray tea tree on my girls hair and they still get it, but the conditioner and tea tree gets it out.

After four girls in school for the past 17 years, mum says the best way to get nits out is comb your hair everyday and every second to third day, soak your hair in white vinegar (it disintegrates the glue that holds the eggs to your hair) and comb the crap out of it.

But you HAVE to remember to comb your hair EVERYDAY!!