Thread: How can I make my own Baby Record Book?

Default How can I make my own Baby Record Book?

I hope I'm in the right section, TBH I have no idea what scrapbooking even is.

I was looking at Baby Record Books and hate their layouts and 5yr limitations, so I was thinking, why don't I just make one myself?
    I've scanned through the threads and I see that some of you did this also?
    How did you start and what did you do? What's this about acid free paper??
    I'm thinking you just go and buy a blank book and decorate it.. Is this right, or is there a more creative, prettier way to do it?
    Please offer any tips, advice you have, I'm so keen to get started!!

sounds very cool! Have you tried googling? There are lots of blogs that write "how do you do it.." type posts, often with photos which I find helps a lot. I'm no scrapbooker but have managed to complete a few projects from different blogs, or at least get some ideas on how to go about it.

scrapbooking is such an OPEN creative outlet - what might be right for you, may not be right for others

you wouldn't get just any old book to do a scrapbooking album - you'd need an acid free album, acid free papers and embellishments to decorate your pages. you can put in very simple decorations/embellishments, or you can be very creative - depending on our own "talents" and desires.

personally, i'm useless at traditional paper scrapbooking - i don't have the time, space, patience or creative flair (nor do i have the money - it can become a very exxy habit!) - so i have opted to digitally create pages for DDs milestones book (it's taking ages so i'm noting everything in my diary as it happens lol) - cheaper, no where near the "tools" needed - and the best bit - the UNDO button when i fluff it up! lol

spotlight is a great place to start! they sell the plain books, paper, pretty bits and bobs. i have made one for DD and am already making one for this bub. basically i record all the fun stuff from the BFP to the first birthday. DD LOVES going through hers...

I've just recently completed my dd3's baby book. I started to scrapbook it, but I knew it was going to take me ages. I just kept a record of everything she did each month. I had separate photo folders on my computer for each month as well. I then made a Coffee table PhotoBook using snapfish. It looks amazing (even if i do say so myself )

I do digital scrapbooking for my kids too. I use Snapfish to print them but I have created them in Photoshop Elements. If you can get your hands on a photo editing program with scrapbooking elements, you can do just about anything. Here are my books from last year that I did for DD1 and DS, just to give you an idea of what you can do ...

[To protect my privacy online I have removed the links to these books. If you are looking for examples, send me a PM and I can send you my samples as well as a link for other photobooks]

Each double page takes me about an hour to make. I save them to my computer as a large JPEG file and then upload them to whichever digital scrapbooking website has the best specials - Snapfish had one a couple of months ago for buy one get one free. I started out digital scrapbooking with Momento because it is like using photoshop but a much simpler platform if you have never done digitial scrapbooking. Their print quality is amazing but a bit more pricey than Snapfish and Harvey Norman. I print these books out for my kids to keep on their bookshelves to look at when they like so I didn't want to spent too much $$$.
    Last edited by Just Me; August 17th, 2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Remove links for privacy reasons :)

Just Me - your pages look beautiful!!! Great job - (helps that you have a gorgeous subject to work with too )

Just Me - great pages!!!

What I ended up doing was buying a pretty baby photo album from Big W, and it has little bits of card that stick out between each page (no idea why, must be the binding style???) and managed to get matching coloured card and glued extra pages for when I want to add stories etc to the photos on either side iykwim. And I got a whole bunch of decorations and have made it look awesome I am so proud of myself!!!
    I went to Spotlight to get a Scrapbooking album, but they only had ones where each page was covered in a plastic type cover like the ones in photo albums; is this normal? I thought it was weird, coz I thought scrapbooking involved writing and glueing photos on to the pages? I don't know, but I'm happy with the way I've done mine, it looks really cute so far. Just need to think of little things to write and stuff, I'm terrible at recording milestones and taking photos garrr. I blame the sleep deprivation making me a bit apathetic!

that is awesome turtleschell! and it can become a wee bit addictive lol! i have been working furiously on the new bubbas one...and she isnt even here yet

i am motivated again - have started DD's first year book and completed seven pages now! yay!