Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to scrapbooking and need some help....Please!!!

Default New to scrapbooking and need some help....Please!!!

Hi ladies....wow i have just discovered scrapbooking and have gone out and purchased a few odds and ends but i really need to know what all the 'must haves' are .... do i need something before something else iykwim?

Where is the best place to buy ? Are certain brands better then others ? Does everything need to be acid free ?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm a beginner and can't wait to get started !!

Waiting in anticipation for your replies.

DoubleK Guest

the main thing you will is paper! you can buy packs of paper, or single sheets, different thicknesses/textures.. i usually just grab whatever i like!

if you have photos in mind that you want to scrap, maybe take them along with you, to buy suitable stickers/embellishments/papers etc other wise, like i did - just grab things you like, and then you can choose things as your making the page!

there are no set rules when scrapbooking! get some magazines or look online for some ideas and inspirations! dont be put off and think you cant do something as good as someone else, because you can!!

it is a lot of fun, and so rewarding! you should also get an album so your pages dont get damaged (i buy mine from the reject shop - $8, just as good as any other, just cheaper!) i love going to Spotlight for my scrap stuff! scrapbook shops are always a bit dearer, but have a bigger range - depends how much $$ you have to spend!

good luck and have fun!

Enchanted Guest

I have been scrapbooking for a couple of years and have found some good things at K-mart ie. paper packs etc. Just make sure you be careful that you get acid and lignen free pages and album covers as they fade the photos over time

Depending on how much you want to spend Creative Memories have great products but they are a little pricey. I have bought a lot of stuff from them and found it to be great.

With the must haves though I would buy a tape runner instead of glue as you can lift the photo off the page if you're not happy with where it is etc. , you will need something to cut the paper with ie. a small cutter, pens and textas for journalling, plenty of colour options (paper wise ), stickers etc to make your page look pretty.

Wow, thanks Rach & Oshani.......

Rach, i have done exactly what you do i have just been grabbing stuff that i like as i see it ... and just hoping it will all get used at some stage. I already have 6 different scissors,a cutting board, embellishments, paper, stickers and few other bits and peices.
    I'm really looking forward to it and i know i will get a buzz just being able to say ' i did it'.

Oshani... i have heard of Creative Memories and maybe when i get a little more confident and better at what i'm doing then i might not worry so much if it costs a little bit more but to start out with i'm just as happy to go to kmart,bigw etc to get my supplies.

Enchanted Guest

I also forgot to mention... Ebay has HEAPS of scrapbooking stuff so check that out too

Sounds like you have a great supply of stuff already. Also maybe google scrapbooking shops in your area. There is sooo much stuff out there it is crazy but your photos look amazing once it's all done!

Oshani...thanks for that i forgot all about ebay, better go have a sticky beek!!

There are a number of scrapbooking shops around here .... don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!! No, it's awesome heaps to choose from.

DoubleK Guest

oh yeh, check out ebay!! i have bought a heap of stuff off there - usually the post is really cheap, so i always buy multiple items off the same seller!

i have about 20 scrapbooking magazines, which i have bought over time (my mum is a keen op-shopper, and has picked up about 7 or 8 of them for me for about 1 or 2 dollars each! which is great, as they are really expensive - i always go for the ones that have a 'free' back issue with the current one )

Enchanted Guest

Another tip with the magazines... if you know anyone that works at a Newsagent, ask them if they can keep the old copies for you I have a friend who does it for me! All they do when the new ones come out is rip off the front cover and send it back to the "supplier" and chuck the mags out!

Yes Oshani.....i myself have worked in a newsagent for about 5 years in total and i used to do the exact same thing for my friends, might have to get in the know with someone who works in our local newsagent and get them to put them aside for me!!!

DoubleK Guest

really! i always wondered what happens to the old magazines! wow what a waste that they just get thrown out!

My must haves (aside from the loads of things I needed at the time but have never used) are a self healing cutting mat, a scalpel, fiskars soft touch scissors (these are the BEST scissors ever - esp is you're a leftie), good adhesive in a few varieties (stick, liquid, tabs roll on etc), and a few good pens. The rest are just fab extras.

spotlight stores have a good range of affordable scrapbooking materials

Sarsie Guest

Hey Westy,
    I sell Creative Memories stuff and absolutely love it. I have heaps of scrapbooking stuff that I bought for the Creative Memories and you can see the difference. I thought of way for you to get started would be to go to the creative memories website and maybe either host a party or go to a workshop and they can give you some tips on how to get started and give you tips etc.
    Anyway, I hope you are having fun with it all anyway. It is very addictive.
    Where are u from?

Hi Sarsie.... i have seen heard lots about creative memories but have never actually seen any of their products, i do like the idea of having a party but am not sure as to what to expect from one iykwim.

I'm in Brisbane...so i'm sure their would be someone who could come and do a party for me. Where are you ?

I started making a few cards today and i'm stoked with how they turned out, it was heaps of fun and i'm proud to say they are my very own creations!!!

DoubleK Guest

well done westy!
    i have made a few cards as well.. but then i dont want to give them away!! but i take photos of them!

Default Where from

I have only been scrapbooking now for a few weeks, I have so many supplies its a bit beyond a joke. I went on ebay and a different website I just kept clicking on them on ebay, it is sooooo much cheaper than stores. There are some really good ebay shops that just do scrapbooking. If you just type in scrapbooking in the left hand "search" and then enter... it will bring heaps up..... you can find their stores from there.

Its actually a tad amuzing at the moment. I ve been doing an IVF scrapbook. It goes through all the stages of IVF, not just physically but emotionally too. BUT while hubby is not looking I m actually doing a valantines one.... right under his nose and he hasnt clicked. Quick movement of the hands each time he looks over at me and its back to the IVF one.

Personally I love it. Some times a page will be drawn out and then all of a sudden things are just being added left right and center and I find those ones to be the best ones.

SO i m a tad addicted now
    Last edited by Baby Angels; February 4th, 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: removed link

Rach, i'm a little the same...they are so nice i'm not sure if i want to give them away !!! I have done exactly the same as you have, i have taken photo's of them all.

Angel Babies , sounds as though you are really getting into it all....that's great !! I have been looking on ebay over the past few days and i was disppointed yesterday when i bid on a great pack on bit's and piece's but got pipped at the post (by .50cents) I don't think it will take me too long to become addicted either.

Default westy

Where to get them.... There is a scrapbook magazine you can get from any newsagency. In that magazine there are a heap of websites you can get scrapbook bits and pieces from. When I brought it I found over 50 web sites. As for ebay, I tend to stick to "buy it now".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast