Thread: Tiffanys idea - shadow box frames?

Question Tiffanys idea - shadow box frames?

I think this relates to scrapbooking a little, so am posting here.

I've been inspired by an idea I saw in a magazine.

When I went to the US last year, I bought myself a gorgeous little silver necklace from Tiffanys, and it came in a little soft bag, inside the famous blue box, tied up with ribbon, and inside a little carry bag, all in the lovely light blue/turquoise Tiffany colour.

What I'd like to do is to mount all three into one large or three small shadow box frames.

Of course I'm not sure where to put it in my house either!! Our bedroom and ensuite are in mocha brown tones - not sure if the blue will go with this... what do you think? Maybe if the frame colour was in the brown tones...

Anyway I'd like to know the following:

1) Where to find shadow box frames that aren't too pricey (I'm in WA so online or a large brand store). I've found one place that sells them, a large box with three 8 inch 'windows' is $100 plus postage...

2) What else to put in the frames eg any scrapbook-y elements (I have no experience in this type of thing)

3) If you think it will match a mocha-toned room!!

Thanks all!!

Mrs P, that sounds like a great idea. I hope you find what you are looking for, that would look gorgeous.

Thanks MantaRay! When I finally get some free time (post-thesis) I want to do a whole heap of arty stuff for our house, so this will be on the list. Even if the frame is $100, I think it will be worth it!

You can get shadow boxes from either Spotlight or Lincraft that are raw wood you can paint yourself.

Thanks Sarah! Do you know roughly what size, and do they just come in 'single' windows or multiples?

I've seen stacks of different sized ones & ones with three or four windows too. There were heaps when I looked a few months ago.

Excellent - thanks for that! Now I just have to wait until I'm thesis-free and ready to go art-crazy!!

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

The other day I saw in The Warehouse shop in Ballarat, Vic - SHADOW BOXES !!!

There was three different sizes in the one package for $6.99.

I saw only Hot Pink colour in them, maybe you might be able to paint over them or sandpaper back the hot pink paint

Default Mrs P

Colour....

Well if its something you specifically want in your room, and your room is mocha then you can still achieve this, HOWEVER just consider whether you want to.

The reason I say this is that Mocha (which is part of the "chocolate" family of colours) is a current fashion colour which is being replaced by Olive. SO we are still staying with the earth tones but moving away from the chocolate family (mocha)

SO from that point of view, you might LOVE mocha at the moment but you probalby also LOVED blue when it was a fashion colour about 7 years ago.

If what you are wanting to make is something you want to have for a long time then you will be better off doing something with it where you can either update the colours easily or use neutral colours.

Now I m reading this and thinking... you probably think I m a bit of a colour freak, ummm well confession.... its what I do for a living.

Colours are forcasted 2 years ahead of time. If you google "colourways" you will find the official web site. Its not mine...lol... mine is a different business.

Now if you still want to go ahead with Mocha just let me know and I ll explain how to do it to bring the other colours out on top.

Hi Angel Babies - thanks for that very interesting info.

I think we'll be sticking with mocha for quite a while as our ensuite tiles are that shade too! It's interesting that you say olive is coming in, as we have a doona cover that incorporates both mocha/brown with olive and it goes fairly well in the bedroom!

You are totally right though, I don't think that Tiffany's blue will go with the mocha!! So I'm going to have to find another spot to put the shadow boxes when they are made. Our guest bedroom has neutral off-white walls, so maybe in there...

Thanks for your input! We had a colour consultant come and help us when we were picking piant, carpet and blinds for our house and she was awesome. We've got this amazing feature wall in the entrance that looks fantastic.