Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Goodies....

oh MG thats another thought too... putting them individually into celophane so they don't melt everywhere!! I found last year I had kept all the pressies in the fridge because here in QLD summer they were melting. I kept the esky in the car & would put them in as we were visiting people. LOL... funny to think about now. I like the idea of bigger baskets too. I can't get alot into the noodle boxes but I thought that would be for friends & neighbours.

Christy, I know that you can get noodle box's now from places like Spotlight and in some of the cheapy shops like The Reject Shop. I think you can get them in various sizes too.

OK, I have been wanting to make a fruit cake for Christmas for so many years now. Every year someone talks me out of it saying how much cheaper it is to buy one from Woolies. I know that this it true, and it will probably taste better than mine but I still want to give it a go.

Does anyone have any fail safe recipes for a fruit cake ????

LOL Christy - I'm so slack when it comes to doing cooking for work. Every easter and christmas I make something. The first year I was so good and individually wrapped everyone's edible gift in cellophane (and the biscuits had little holes in the top with ribbon through it - made stain glass biscuits). Now they're lucky if I put them on a decorative plate! ROFL!!!! Last Christmas I put them on a HUGE frosted glass Christmas plate I have. This Easter I took chocolates in a tupperware container....and I have a feeling this Christmas will be the same!!!! ROFL. Do you keep the noodle boxes open? I find that sometimes I can fit more in if I arrange them "decoratively" and leave them open. Still get a nice presentation and more in them.

Trish - I have a couple of receipes for fruit cake that I get out of the Women's Weekly Christmas Cookbook. I haven't made any of them though so can't tell you if they work (although I am yet to come across a WW receipe that doesn't). I will post them tomorrow as I am suppose to be doing an essay and DH just busted me and is NOT happy! ROFL!

MG

Fruit and Nut slice

Preparation time: 25 minutes
    Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
    Makes approx 36

1 cups (300g) Sunbeam Glace Cherries
    2 cups (260g) Sunbeam Natural Almonds
    1 cup (150g) Sunbeam Sultanas
    1 sheet frozen shortcrust pastry
    100g butter
    1/3 cup maple syrup or golden syrup
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    2 Tbs plain flour
    80g dark chocolate to decorate (optional)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200C
    2. Line a 24cm square cake tin with baking paper & press in thawed pastry, lifting the edges to form a 1cm rim. Use a fork to ***** the base.
    3. Scatter the cherries & almonds evenly over the pastry, fill the gaps with sultanas.
    4. In a microwave dish or small saucepan melt the butter & syrup, remove & leave to cool before beating in eggs, vanilla & flour.
    5. Pour evenly into the pan & bake for approx 35 minutes, until the filling is set & firm to the touch.
    6. When cool, carefully slide onto a board & cut into rectangles.

Decoration: Melt 80g dark chocolate & drizzle in lines over the top.

Fruit Mince Pies

Preparation time: 45 minutes (allow 2-3hrs for soaking)
    Cooking time: 15 minutes
    Makes approx 40

5 cups (750g) Sunbeam Mixed Fruit
    3/4 cup (100g) Sunbeam Slivered Almonds
    1 cups brown sugar
    Rind & juice of 1 small lemon
    Rind & juice of 1 small orange
    1 tsp mixed spice
    tsp nutmeg
    100g butter, melted
    3/4 cup brandy
    1 packet frozen shortcrust pastry
    cup milk
    cup icing sugar to decorate

Fruit Mince
    1. Coarsely chop fruit & transfer to a heatproof dish.
    2. Stir in sugar, rind & juice, spices, melted butter & brandy.
    3. Cover & microwave on high for 4 minutes, stirring every minute.
    4. Remove & set aside covered for 5 minutes, then chill for 2-3 hours.

To make pies
    1. Preheat oven to 180C
    2. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out bases & cut Christmas tree shapes. Press bases into non-stick pie pans.
    3. Chop almonds coarsely in a food processor & stir into fruit mixture.
    4. Fill bases with mixture & place tree shape on top. Brush with milk.
    5. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.

Christmas Shortbread

Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
    Makes approx 45

2 Tbs (30g) Sunbeam Cashews, chopped
    3 Tbs (30g) Sunbeam Currants
    2 Tbs (40g) Sunbeam Glace Cherries, finely chopped
    250g butter (room temperature)
    2 cups plain flour
    2 Tbs rice flour
    1/3 cup icing sugar

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 150C
    2. Cut butter into small cubes.
    3. Into the large bowl of a food processor add the flour, rice flour & icing sugar.
    4. Add the butter pieces & chop until mixed to crumbs.
    5. Add the nuts & fruit & mix in. Do not overwork.
    6. Tip out & knead very gently into a soft, slightly dry dough.
    7. Roll out on a lightly floured board & cut into desired shapes.
    8. Line baking trays with baking paper & arrange the shortbreads, leaving some room between pieces.
    9. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 150C until dry on the surface & slightly firm.
    10. Leave to cool. Store in an airtight container.

Rum and Raisin Truffles

Cooking time: 2-3 minutes
    Makes approx 36

3/4 cup (100g) Sunbeam Slivered Almonds, toasted
    1 cup (150g) Sunbeam Raisins, roughly chopped
    1/3 cup (40g) Sunbeam Pistachios, chopped (optional)
    300g chocolate chip biscuits
    1 Tbs butter
    1 Tbs thickened cream
    100g dark cooking chocolate
    1/3 cup dark rum or 1 Tbs rum essence

Method

1. Break biscuits into a food processor & chop to crumbs.
    2. Chop the almonds in the processor & add half to the biscuit crumbs, with chopped raisins.
    3. Combine butter, cream & chocolate in a bowl & microwave for 2 minutes. Beat smooth & stir in the rum or rum essence.
    4. Pour over the dry ingredients & mix well, then form into bite sized balls.
    5. Add the nuts & fruit & mix in. Do not overwork.
    6. Roll in the remaining almonds or pistachios or cover in melted chocolate

Choc Fruit and Nut Christmas Tree

Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Cooking time: 1-2 minutes

2/3 cup Sunbeam Apricots, halved
    2/3 cup Sunbeam Sultanas
    400g dark cooking chocolate, melted
    125g blanched almonds

Method
    1. Draw a star on a sheet of baking paper with a diameter of approximately 16cm. Continue for 6 more stars, reducing in size by approximately 1-2cm each time. An online star guide is available for download here - just trace each sized star onto a separate piece of baking paper. Lay out on trays.
    2. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Add almonds and fruit and mix well.
    3. Spread chocolate mixture on prepared baking paper to form stars and refrigerate until set.
    4. Place remaining chocolate mixture in the microwave on high for approximately 1 minute or until softened.
    5. Assemble tree by placing the largest star on a plate and placing 2 teaspoons of the softened mixture in the centre. Repeat in order of size until the final star is on the top. Refrigerate until set then dust with icing sugar.

Makes 1 tree

Stained Glass Slice

Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

1 cup Sunbeam Raisins
    1 cup Sunbeam Fruit Bites Pineapple, chopped
    1 cup dried peaches, chopped
    125g unsalted butter
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    1 egg
    3/4 cup plain flour
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    1/4 cup milk
    200g Sunbeam Glac Cherries, halved

Method

1. Pre-heat oven to 160C. Line a lamington tin with grease-proof paper.
    2. Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.
    3. Sift flour and spice together and fold into mixture alternately with milk. Stir through fruits.
    4. Press into prepared tin with the back of a wet spatula and bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool before cutting into slices.

Makes 24 slices

Christmas Crackles

Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 minutes

2/3 cup Sunbeam Mixed Fruit
    2 cups rice bubbles
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    1/2 cup coconut
    125g copha
    1/2 cup choc bits

Method
    1. Place rice bubbles, sugar, coconut and Sunbeam Mixed Fruit in a bowl and stir to combine.
    2. Place copha in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until melted. Stir through dry mixture.
    3. Add choc bits, stir, then spoon into a patty pan tray lined with 16 paper cases. Refrigerate to set.

Makes 16
    White Chocolate and Cherry Truffles

Preparation time: 20 minutes (allow extra time for chilling)
    Makes 36

1 cup (200g) Sunbeam Glace Cherries, chopped
    300g white cooking chocolate
    120 ml cream
    1 cup desiccated coconut

Method
    1. In a heatproof bowl break up chocolate & melt in the microwave for about 3 minutes, checking & stirring every 40 seconds. Leave to cool slightly.
    2. In another bowl whip cream to firm peaks & gently stir in chocolate, 2-3 tablespoons of coconut & three-quarters of the chopped cherries.
    3. Mix well, then cover & refrigerate until the mixture is firm enough to shape into small balls.
    4. Coat some of the balls with left over glace cherries & remaining with desiccated coconut. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

If you want some more ideas or yummy recipes go to the sunbeam site. They have heaps of recipes and ideas on there. Including some for fruit cake

Default Christmas gift ideas

Hi,
    Does anyone have more ideas for things I can make as gifts for the family? Already working on Coconut Ice, Fudge, and Crunchies (similar to Anzac biscuits). Oh yes, and shortbread biscuits.
    Thanks

Gingerbread biscuits (or houses if you're creative), truffles, toffee, lemon butter, jam or chutney...

Hi Kim... I make this really easy little mini Christmas puddings......

You will need the following

A light or dark fruit cake (i use homebrand from Woolies)
    Some rum or brandy
    Nestle white choc melts
    Red and green glaice cherries

Take the fruit cake and place in a big mixing bowl and break apart into fine crumbs.. ( i sometimes wear disposable latex gloves) then splash in enough alcohol so that you can make the cake mixture into small round balls... about 2.5 cms round. Set aside into the fridge.

Cut the green cherries into thin green strips and the red ones into little round/square pieces as these will resemble holly on top of your puddings. Set aside.

Melt the white chocolate in a double saucepan. When melted drizzle the white chocolate over your fruit balls to resemble custard and then top with the sliced cherries to resemble the holly.. ie, two red pieces and two green strips.

Place into the fridge to set.. These are so easy and simple and are just so sweet to give away as gifts.

Enjoy!

Leis x

what about spicy mixed nuts, turkish delight, nougat, peanut brittle?

Have a look Here at some recipes and suggestions posted earlier!

thanks friends,
    the mini pudings sound delish. i have also got some savoury biccies and biltong (dried meat and sausages) lined up. Yay!

Yum Kimi at the Biltong, I use to work in a deli that use to sell it, it was delish, I haven't been able to find it or get any in a few years, mmm I miss the taste lol.

hugs xoxo

Hello, this one's kind of foodie, if you have a cook in the family - pot up a few different culinary herbs into a nice decorative or terracotta pot, they can keep it on the windowsill/back porch and snip some herbs whenever they are cooking!
    :-)

mooshie Guest

Default white christmas

hi there

was looking for a yummy and easy recepie for white christmas, i want it for ds so he can make it.

ds is allergic to nuts, so preferably a recepie without nuts or coconut.

thanks

I found this recipe in last weeks Womans Day and was contemplating giving it a go. It contains no nuts but does have coconut - could you leave out? You could also try googling it.

White Christmas - makes around 36. Prep 10 mins plus chilling time, Cooking 5 mins.

250g copha
    2 cups rice bubbles
    1 cup des coconut
    1 cup icing sugar - sifted
    1 cup milk powder
    3/4 cup sultanas
    1/4 cup chopped red glace cherries
    1/4 cup chopped green glace cherries

Lightly grease a 20 x 30 cm slice pan and line base and sides with baking paper.
    Place copha in a small pan on low heat. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 mins until melted. Cool slightly.
    Meanwhile combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add copha and mix well. Press mixture firmly into pan.
    Freeze 15 mins until set then chill until ready to serve. Serve cut into small sqaures. Store white christmas in an airtight container in fridge.

The recipe above sounds very similar to what my mum used to make. We didnt have nuts in it as i hated them as a Kid. Fond memories of stuffing my face with it and being ill! Im sure you will do a great job making it

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

*bump*
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

*bump*
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I wish i had time to make all these yummy things!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast