Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Goodies....

Some more yummy recipes for sweets. I haven't made either yet, but will definately be making the choc slice.

Ic plain flour
    1/2c almond meal
    1/2c brown sugar
    100g dark cooking choc
    75g butter
    1 egg lightly beaten
    395g can sweetened condesed milk
    50g extra butter
    2tbsp golden syrup
    3/4c blanched almonds
    1/2c macadamia nuts
    1c chopped raisins
    3/4c chopped dried apriots
    200g extra dark cooking choc

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 18x28cm slice pan with greased paper.
    Mix flour almond meal and brown sugar. Melt together 100g of chocolate and butter. Stir into four mixture, then stir in egg and mix well. Press evenly into tray and bake for 15mins. Cool.
    Combine in a pan, sweetened condensed milk, extra butter and golden syrup. Bring to boil and simmer, stirring continuously for 5 mins. Stir in nuts, raisins and apricots. Spread over base of tray.
    Bake for 8mins or until edges begin to brown. Cool. Spread on 200g of chocolate and refirgerate until set. Cut into squares or slices.

Rum and rasin balls

300g choc chip bickies crushed
    3/4c toasted slivered almonds
    1c chopped raisins
    1/3c pistachios (optional)
    100g white choc(optional)
    100g dark cooking choc
    20g butter
    2 tbsp cream
    1 tbsp rum or rum essence
    200g extra dark cooking choc
    20g copha, white vegetable shortening

Combine bickie crumbs, raisins and chopped almonds.
    Melt 100g cooking choc and butter and cream. Stir in rum, then combine choc mixture with bickie mixtue and combine well.
    Roll heaped tsps of mixture into balls and refrigerate until firm.
    Melt extra choc and copha together and coat balls in mixture. Allow to set. If you want, roll balls into pistachio nuts, almonds, drizzle with more choc/ white choc to decorate.

Just another quick and easy treat for xmas....

Mini Choc Puddings...

1 Packet Choc Royals
    White choc to melt
    Jaffa's or crispy red m&m's

All you do is melt the white choc and pour a little over each royal to look like custard and then place one red jaffa or m&m on top for your cherry. You can also add the mint leave lolly, but I find it looks too much...

I just made a packet then, too easy and soooooo quick and effective!

Another two cheating things I've decided to make....

Instead of cooking shortbread, I've bought some in Christmas shapes & we'll just decorate them.

I found on Better Homes & Gardens website an easy but realy effective looking treat... Basically, you get a packet of Jersey Caramel lollies & decorate them. Dip them into melted chocolate to completely cover them or half dip them then before it sets add hundreds & thousands, crushed nuts, coconut or toffee pieces. Or you can just drizzle chocolate over them. Easy as but they look really good in the picture. My sister will love it because they are her favourite lolly! We're doing them today

ETA: Here are some photos of so far...
    Caramels setting
    Caramels close up - if you hover over them there are notes on what they are.
    Chocolate Spoons setting - the one on the left was the last of the chocolate & it was setting because of the cold spoons going into it! Might hav to use that as a tester on my self
    Last edited by {sarah}; December 20th, 2007 at 10:37 AM.

*bump* added some photos

HUGE SUCCESS!!

I ended up making choc dipped caramels, choc spoons, choc truffles, coffee truffles, toffee truffles, candy cane fudge, shortbread chrissy trees, peanut butter slice & spicey peanuts. Everyone I gave them too were thrilled My sister thinks she's put on a kilo already though LOL!

Great news Sarah! I ended up making the BB fudge (peppermint), mini choc puddings (recipe from Table magazine that I found at the last minute), gingerbread and those fudgy buttons (I added a little bit of cooking chocolate to the recipe). DH LOVED the fudgy buttons (he's a peanut butter fan) and I promised to make him a batch soon

So Amy, did your DH scor the job of being taste tester as well? Aaron loved the truffles & I had to promise him I'd make another batch too.

LOL, to a point... He got really annoyed because 'the kitchen stinks (sic) of chocolate and I'm not allowed to eat ANY of it!'

Sounds like Aaron, "the fridge has heaps of chocolate & I can't touch any??"

You'd think they'd get it by now
    Did anyone do the macadamia and white chocolate biccies? I was going to, but lost momentum and made the gingerbread instead because it meant one less trip to the shops The macadamia and white choc looked good... I think I shall have to make some for ourselves one day soon.

*BUMP*
    I just started looking for some more ideas today. Found this recipe in 'Good Taste' for those who like grog:
    Limoncello (Lemon liqueur)
    Preparation Time 10 minutes
    Cooking Time 10 minutes
    Makes 1.3L

Ingredients
    6 lemons
    750ml (3 cups) vodka
    225g (1 cup) white sugar
    435ml (1 3/4 cups) water
    Method
    Place the lemons in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 hour to soak. Drain. Pat dry. Finely grate the lemon. Combine lemon rind and vodka in a jug.
    Meanwhile, place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes or until the syrup thickens. Set aside to cool.
    Add syrup to the vodka mixture. Pour into sterilised airtight bottles. Seal and store in a cool, dark place, shaking occasionally, for 1 month to develop the flavours.
    Strain the vodka mixture through a fine sieve. Discard the rind. Pour into a clean sterilised airtight bottle.
    Notes & tips
    Tip: This luscious lemon liqueur must be served well chilled. Place it in the freezer for one hour before serving. Make this recipe up to 1 month ahead
    Obviously I won't be partaking in it this Christmas, but I reckon my Dad will enjoy it. In the picture they wrap it in clear celophane with a miniature grater attached! It looks cute!
    I'll have to get myself organised too because you make it about a month in advance...

Just thought I would come in here and show off my Gingerbread Men! I have never made them before and this was my first attempt - so be kind!!

Gingerbread Men

Amy, they are gorgeous! I feel sorry for the little sad one LOL.
    For anyone who's interested, I started the limoncello yesterday - I found another recipe that suggested you let the lemon zest soak in just the vodka for a couple of weeks, then add the syrup. So I'm giving that a go, then in about a week and a half I'll add the syrup. Unfortunately the other recipe says to leave it for AT LEAST a month Bummer!
    I'm also going to make little jam biccies this year- just a plain butter biscuit mix, with a large star base, then jam on top of that, then a star with smaller star cut out of the middle on top of the jam.
    Last edited by Snacks; December 14th, 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Got the shapes wrong on the bickies

ATTENTION TRUFFLE EXPERTS:
    If I were to make a batch of truffles using 200g choc and around 1/3 cup cream how many truffles would that make approx? (Will use melon-baller to mould them.)
    I'm trying to work out gift boxes and batches...

Christmas is fast approaching....

again!!

I'm going for peanut brittle this year! Read a recipe in Nigella's Christmas book and decided to give it a crack. The honeycomb recipe of three years ago is still fresh in my mind though, so who knows if I'll be able to pull it off, LOL!
    What's everyone else's plans this year?

ooh there's some great recipes in the BH&G for December. Thought I might give a few a go.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast