Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Goodies....

Awww yum some of these recipes look soooo goood

i think i will make the spoons for DS's kindy teachers..
    might sample some others for my self

i have a recipe somewhere for peppermint bark (white and milk or dark choc, candy canes) - can post if you'd like
    i'm thinking i might do some of these for local friends - and for DH for work snacks.
    i ahve the ingredients to do a white chocolate fudge at the moment... hmmmm

I'm going to have to come back later and really read thru this thread!!

Could you make Florentines?

Florentine recipe:

1.5 cups cornflakes
    1/4 cup flaked almonds
    100g chopped mixed glace cherries
    1/2 cup skim condensed milk
    40g melted dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 180oC. Grease two oven trays and line with baking paper.

Combine cornflakes, almonds and cherries in large bowl. Add condensed milk and stir to combine.

Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture onto prepared trays about 4cm apart. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden. Cool on trays.

Drizzle cooled Florentines with melted chcolate. Stand for 20 minutes or until choclate sets.

Note: Use a spoon to drizzle chocolate. Store for up to 3 days.

Makes 12

AND if you're following Weight Watchers - they're only 1.5points each!

Enjoy!

Billy Ocean Guest

Thumbs up

WOW! I've just read through this entire thread and found some great ideas.

I'm making my Chrissie gifts this year and you have all just helped me out greatly. Thank you! I hope they turn out as well for me as they have for all of you.

B's girl, would you mind posting that peppermint bark recipe if you have time???

Thanks again everyone.
    x

you'll need to convert to metric measures!

Layered Peppermint Crunch Bark

17 ounces good-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt or Baker's), finely chopped
    30 red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candies, coarsely crushed (about 6 ounces)
    7 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
    6 tablespoons whipping cream
    3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

PreparationTurn large baking sheet bottom side up. Cover securely with foil. Mark 12 x 9-inch rectangle on foil. Stir white chocolate in metal bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water) until chocolate is melted and smooth and candy thermometer registers 110F. (chocolate will feel warm to touch). Remove from over water. Pour 2/3 cup melted white chocolate onto rectangle on foil. Using icing spatula, spread chocolate to fill rectangle. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crushed peppermints. Chill until set, about 15 minutes.

Stir bittersweet chocolate, cream and peppermint extract in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until just melted and smooth. Cool to barely lukewarm, about 5 minutes. Pour bittersweet chocolate mixture in long lines over white chocolate rectangle. Using icing spatula, spread bittersweet chocolate in even layer. Refrigerate until very cold and firm, about 25 minutes.

Rewarm remaining white chocolate in bowl set over barely simmering water to 110F. Working quickly, pour white chocolate over firm bittersweet chocolate layer; spread to cover. Immediately sprinkle with remaining crushed peppermints. Chill just until firm, about 20 minutes.

Lift foil with bark onto work surface; trim edges. Cut bark crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips. Using metal spatula, slide bark off foil and onto work surface. Cut each strip crosswise into 3 sections and each section diagonally into 2 triangles. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Chill in airtight container.) Let stand 15 minutes at room temperature before serving.

Hi all,

I got the super food ideas mag last night, and OMG, there are some devine looking recipes in there for chrissy ideas.

Here's some of the yummier looking ones I might give a go this year...

Choc cherry tiramisu ice cream cake (p24 super food ideas dec 09/jan10)

Serves 24

2 tbsp instant expresso coffee powder
    1/4 c marsala (or 1/4c extra boiling water for non alcoholic version)
    1/2c boiling water
    250g softened cream cheese
    2ltrs vanilla ice cream softened
    250g arnotts choc ripple biscuits
    300g pitted frozen cherries halved
    2ltrs of triple choc icecream
    300ml whipped thickened cream
    frozen pitted cherries, crumbled flake bar, white chocolate curls and silver cachous (silver ball decoration things) to serve

1 Grease a 9cm deep 20cm (base) square cake pan. Line with baking paper allowing a 6cm overhang on all sides. Place coffee, marsala and boiling water in a shallow dish. Stir to dissolve coffee. Set aside to cool.
    2 Using and electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smoothe. Add vanilla ice cream, 1c at a time beat well after each addition.
    3 Spoon half of the mixture into prepared pan. Smoothe the surface. Dip 9 biscuits into the coffee mixture, turning to coat. Place in a layer over the creamchees/ice cream mixture. Add cherries to the remaining cream cheese/ice cream mixture. Stir until just combined. Spoon cherry cream cheese over the biscuit layer. Smoothe surface. Dip 9 more buscuits into the coffee mixture. Place in a single layer over the cherry/cream cheese mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 1-2 hours, until icecream is firm.
    4 Spoon chocolate ice cream into a large bowl. Set aside for 10mins to soften.Stir until smoothe. Spoon over biscuits. Smoothe surface. Dip remaining buscuits into coffee mixture and place in a layer onto the choc ice cream. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
    5 Remove from freezer and set aside for 5mins to soften slightly. Turn onto a plate. Top with whipped cream, cherries, flake, cachous and white choc curls. Serve.

Nanaimo Bars
    Makes 36

1/2x 400g digestive buscuits
    1/4c caster sugar
    1/2c cocoa powder
    250g unsalted butter softened
    1 egg lightly beaten
    1 tsp vanilla bean extract
    1/2c finely chopped blanched almonds
    1/2c dessicated coconut
    2 tbsp vanilla custard powder
    2tbsp thickened cream
    2c icing sugar mixture
    Topping
    70g unsalted butter chopped
    200g dark chocolate chopped

1 Grease a 5cm deep 20cm base square cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides. Process buscuits until they resemble coarse bread crumbs.
    2 Place caster sugar, cocoa powder and half the butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook stirring with a metal spoon for about 3mins or until smoothe. Add the egg and vanilla. Cook stirring for 1min or until mixture thickens. Stir in almonds, coconut and biscuit crumbs. Press mixture into the bottom of the pan. Refridgerate for 30mins or until firm.
    3 Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining butter and custard powder until light and fluffy. Add cream and icing sugar. Beat until smoothe. Spread over biscuit base. Refridgerate until firm.
    4 Topping Place butter and chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water for 5 mins until melted and smoothe. Remove from heat. Cool for 5mins. Pour over filling. Refridgerate for 30mins unitl set and cut into squares.

YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Default Christmas hamper Ideas

Ok Ladies need some help.

Christmas is here. I have added up the possibility of doing separate presents and its not feisable, so I'm doing hampers. I'm going to put down my ideas, if anyone can suggest or add anything I would greatly appreciate it!

OK: packaging: wicker baskets or similar bought from Vinnies.
    Ribbons: bulk bought from Spotlight (cheapest place I know)
    FIllers: torn cellophane, tissue paper or similar from spotlight

Bits in hampers: Small xmas puddings (have to make ours anyway so might as well!)
    Rum Balls
    Gingerbread men
    Chilli jam in jars from vinnies
    Chocolate spoons
    Hazelnut coffee syrup.

Thats where I'm at so far. Not sure if this sounds ok so would love any input!

xoxo
    Ella

Yummo - have just read the entire thread and my mum is getting a hamper of delicious goodies this year... and I am by no means a cook so hopefully it means a lot to her that I tried LOL

Such a silly question but I seriously have no idea... how early can I start making things? I am planning to do a test run son (cause knowing me it will turn out in disaster!!) but when should I make the ones for mum?

Default tk

TK- whatever you do if you are in QLD DO NOT MAKE YOUR XMAS PUDDING TOO EARLY
    I did that last year thinking I would do the hanging in the pantry thingy, but after 3 days the moulded!!!

You can do your test run as early as you want but the rest depends on what you're making. Jams and sauces can be made now. Biscuits and such really can't be made more than a week early, but its a great idea to make your cookie dough and freeze in a long sausage shape- then you thaw cut and bake (great time saver).

Your puddings can be done a little while in advance if you have freezer or fridge space.

Um can't think of what else. If there's any others just let me know!

Ella

What are chocolate spoons Ella?

Default Chocolate spoons

Quote Originally Posted by *becstar* View Post
    What are chocolate spoons Ella?
    Chocolate spoons:

Melt some dark chocolate in a bowl.
    Dip the well of a teaspoon into the chocolate and then place on greaseproof paper and allow to set.
    Once set, dip spoon again into chocolate but this time continuing 2 cm up the handle.

You can change this by doing another layer only half way up in white or milk choc, or even drizzling zig zags over the dark chocolate. Sprinkles can also be used by sprinkling over tacky chocolate but I tens to think these look a bit tacky... Finely chopped nuts would be better!!!

Finish by wrapping in celophane and tie with a ribbon.

ps: you can use stainless steel or plastic spoons depending on your preference...

These are great if you are doing some cookies as presents, cause they will make a lovely hot chocolate with some warmed milk- there you go hot choc and cookies nice easy present!

Oh that's a great idea!! thanks

You're welcome, I've got a great gingerbread recipe if you want that too...

Default Xmas cooking gift ideas

So I thought I would pop the recipes I'm using for my gift baskets up in case anyone is lost for ideas.... enjoy!

Jamies Adults Only Rum Balls

Ingredients
    1 pkt arrowroot biscuits
    1 1/2 tetra packs condensed milk
    1/2 cup coconut
    3 tablespoons cocoa
    1/2 cup rum soaked mixed fruit (use the rum and all)
    extra coconut

Method
    Prepare fruit by soaking in a bottle with rum a few weeks in advance.
    Whizz up the biscuits in a food processor. Or just give them a good bash in a clean tea towel.
    Combine all the ingredients and mix with your hands till combined.
    Roll into small balls.
    Coat balls in coconut.
    Refrigerate till firm.

Chilli Jam

12 red jalapeno chillies
    2 medium rip tomatoes
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 green apple, finely grated
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar

METHOD:
    1. Cut chillis in half lengthwise, then remove & discard seeds. Lay, cut side down, on an oven tray & place under a hot grill until the skin is black. Cover with foil & leave to cool.
    2. Cut a small cross on the base of the tomatoes, cover with boiling water & leave for two minutes. Drain & cool. Peel skin from the chillis & tomatoes and chop the flesh finely.
    3. Combine onion, apple, vinegar & sugar with the tomato & chilli in a medium pan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved & bring to the boil, Reduce heat & simmer for 30 minutes. Keep covered in the fridge for up to a month.

My warning: I made this once with different chillis, including habeneros (hottest in the world) and ended up with second degree burns on my hands because of it! Make sure you wear gloves when dealing with chillis.

Hazelnut Syrup Recipe(suitable for coffee)

1/2 cup of Finely Chopped Hazelnuts
    2 tbsp of Butter
    3/4 cup of Syrup (preferably maple)

Making the Hazelnut Syrup:
    Melt the butter in a frying pan and toss the hazelnuts in. Cook them until they turn light brown. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly. (Do not boil.) For a stronger favor, add 3/4 cup of finely chopped hazelnuts.

While the syrup is still warm, place a metal strainer over a bowl and pour the syrup into the strainer to seperate the hazlenuts from the syrup. Store the syrup in an air-tight container, preferrably a glass bottle with a twist cap. This syrup will last for up to 4 months

Gingerbread men
    400g plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
    1.5 tsp cinnamon
    1.5 tsp ground ginger
    225g butter
    225g caster sugar
    170g muscavado sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1. Preheat oven to 180C
    2. Sift flour, baking powder & salt & spices into large bowl
    3. Melt butter in saucepan, add sugars, mix well, allow to cool. Add eggs.
    4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly add the butter and sugar mix. Put in fridge until cold.
    5. Roll sausages out of the mix, slice and cook for 10 mins on a baking sheet.
    Its worth saying that Ive played around with this recipe a little- you may well need more flour- keep adding to the mix until it reaches a good consistency. Also the mix works easiest when it comes out of the fridge- because of the high butter content, it melts easily.

Nans Christmas Pudding- Jamie Oliver

Ingredients

2 teaspoon softened butter, for greasing
    3 large eggs
    300ml of milk
    1kg dried sultanas and raisins
    200g dried cherries and cranberries
    250g suet or butter
    3cups plain flour
    250g golden caster sugar
    250g breadcrumbs
    250 dates,chopped up
    4 tablespoons of brandy
    a pinch of salt
    zest of 2 oranges
    6 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon bi carb soda
    1tsp cinnamon
    1 Tbsp orange jam or marmalade
    2 tsp vanilla essence

Method
    Firstly prepare calico by cutting 2x 50cm square pieces. Boil for 30 minutes the wring out and flour liberally.
    In a pan add all fruits, sugar and butter. Allow to simmer till butter and sugar are melted.
    Remove from heat and add bicarb. Allow to cool.
    Pour the egg and milk mixture into this bowl and stir or mix with your hands untill everything is combined.
    Add all remaining ingredients and combine until silky.
    Spoon this mixture into the middle of the calico sheet, make a slight point in the middle.
    Gather the sides together and tie with string leaving a 2 inch overhang.
    Place the calico in a large saucespon and put cold water in the pan untill it comes half way up the side of the bowl.
    Bring the water to the boil then cover with a lid and simmer for 3 hours.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Dont forget to check the water regularly making sure that it doesnt boil dry or the pan will burn and the bowl will crack.
    When serving the pudding simply remove the cloth or the foil and turn it out on a plate.
    Serve with brandy butter or a nice thick custard.

Have more for other bits if anyone wants them....

Some really great ideas in this thread, i'm doing hampers this year for family we will see.

I'm actually excited about starting, just need to work out what i'm going to make and then write a list of what i need (that i dont already have in the cupboard) and i'll go from there.

Billy Ocean Guest

Oooo those rum balls sound LOVELY!!! Thanks for sharing this one.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast