Thread: am i a sahm?

Default am i a sahm?

so i'm thinking.....i just can't be bothered going to the hairdresser to get my hair dyed anymore. i'm thinking, i'll prob go to get it cut but let the colour go back to natural. am i losing it? am i turning into one of those sahm? i just can't be bothered anymore.....

I used to be fanatic about getting my hair cut and coloured but now it's back to it's natural colour and I love it. It's healthy and shiny and full of body and it costs me a fraction of the price.
    I certainly don't think I'm one of 'those' sahm.

My hair gives me the s***ts. Always has, always will. I'm rarely happy when I come out of the hairdresser but was spending about $70 every six weeks on a cut. My hair's very fine and grows very quickly, hence the frequency.

Now I've decided, bugger it. I'm not spending that money anymore particularly when I'm unimpressed with the results. So I'm now cutting my fringe myself. Am getting a bit better at this - my first attempt was a complete disaster and who should I bump into that very morning - MY HAIRDRESSER WHO LOOKED AT ME WITH SHEER HORROR IN HIS EYES when he saw the results.

I've decided I'm going to get elcheapo cuts for $15ish when I need a trim and only spend big dollars if I want a restyle.

I know this is not about colours but I've been thinking a lot about hair recently!

I dont think its a matter of becoming lazy as much as the reality of how much time a child really takes up, and what else you could spend the money you used to on your hair, nails and what have you, now you can see it as a bit of a waist of money and you would prefure ( sp?) to spend that money on your child..Plus it gets harder when you go down to one income to justerfy $70+ $ on hair. But I do make a point of always trying to look nice I do colour my own hair and only ever go to one of those hair dresses that cost $22 for a cut. But I do have very fine straight hair that always looks crap anyway..lol. But dont worry about it will get easier once your child is grown but the only problem you have then is you will more than likey be having another one so it starts again. no time to sit at the hair dresses for a hour...

Well I only got my hair dyed at the hairdresser because it's my wedding! Since I had Pip it's been too hard to find the time to dye it at home, let alone go to a hairdesser!

I used to be fanatical about having my hair cut and coloured every six weeks. It would take 3 hours every time.

I don't have the time, money or inclination anymore. I now get my hair cut about every 8 weeks and I've gone back to my natural colour. I figure that's pretty good for a SAHM!

Gracie, do you mean a "Slummy Mummy" LOL? Ok I've been there in the past but that was only due to a complete poverty of funds and time. I'm sure you're not really "letting yourself go" (!)

*shiver* Slummy mummy...
    I've cut and treated my own hair for years now, mine is fine and straight as a board, kept pixie short for years so there's not really much drama. Have any of you tried henna in your hair? It doesn't necessarily have to come out red, or even change your natural color much (if you're a brunette, that is) but it really helps the whole fine/limp hair thing. Its like having Disney princess hair. Best stuff I've ever found to use, maybe once a month or so.

yes! i mean a slummy mummy lol!
    don't mean to offend anyone, it's just that i haven't used my hairdryer for about a year now and i think my mascara has dried up..
    those of you who have grown your hair out natural, do you like it?
    steph- what is henna? where do you get it?....and what is disney princess hair? i like the sound of that!

Enchanted Guest

My hair has gone back to natural too Gracie and I luuurve it. It's so shiny and healthy like Chloe said.

Only recently I have been making an effort to get dressed and shower as soon as I am up or Oscar goes down for his first sleep. If I'm going out I try and make a big effort as it makes me feel much better about myself. Before I would just chuck on some old faithfuls, put some moisturiser on and tie my hair up as we're running out the door.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that... I still do it but I just try and make an effort because I want to feel better about myself iykwim. Sorry about the rambling!

mmmm i'm liking the sound of this natural hair thing, i think i'm gonna do it! i'm excited

Gracie- henna is a plant that's been used for like a million (close enough) years by women with dark hair. Something about the structure of the plant binds really well with the structure of hair, protecting and conditioning. In effect you end up with really really really shiny, bouncy hair. mine usually feels kind of thicker after I've just done it. I was in the Mid East a few years ago and noticed that like ALL of the women had gorgeous hair, someone told me about henna so I thought alright I'm game.

I used to be able to get the stuff already made up in a solution so I'd pretty much use it like any hair dye/leave in conditioner. Since I moved to Oz I can only find the powdered form at health food/hippie type stores so I mix it myself. Still experimenting to perfect it, but its just so nice I don't mind. Try a google search, there's plenty of recipes/tips.

LOL - Slummy Mummies
    Gracie, I know how you feel. I had my hair done the 24th of Dec 2007 and I made it RED, so it's starting to fade and grow out already and just last night I was saying to myself that this was the last time I am doing my hair profesionally I am going to buy a box of dye and let a friend to it.
    Also I got some lipstick and foundation as a gift from a work girlfriend of mine for chrismas *thinking* could she have been "saying" something. I hate wearing makeup. The lipstick are beautifull and very natural and I do use it when DH and I go on a "date", but for everyday use - just cream thank you!
    I aslo don't believe that you have to be powderd and painted to look good. If you take care of your skin and hair (staying out of the sun, drink lots of water ect) then you can never really let yourself go, kwim? I prefer to be naturally beautifull and DH likes it to - no smudges and he can kiss me whenever without getting lipstick on him

You'll get your groove back. Everyone goes through phases, there was a while where I didn't get my hair done, and now I do every 6 weeks, I blow dry and I straighten my hair. I haven't got back into the swing of full time make up. But I know when I pick up a makeup brush I still know how to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine216 View Post
    I aslo don't believe that you have to be powderd and painted to look good. If you take care of your skin and hair (staying out of the sun, drink lots of water ect) then you can never really let yourself go, kwim? I prefer to be naturally beautifull and DH likes it to - no smudges and he can kiss me whenever without getting lipstick on him
    How true! Very well said Nadine

I go to the hairdressers about once or twice a year and dye my own hair. I've got better things to spend my money on and fortunately my hair has always been "easy".

I think if you want to improve your appearance just look after yourself like Nadine suggested and go out and get some exercise and some sleep!

I am a henna girl. Gives me a touch of a reddish tone.

I do indulge in a professional colour about once every 6 months, as a treat to myself. I indulge as my salon opens in the evening till late so it is a real treat to go down for a gossip, to read the trashy mags and have a glass of vino.

That said, I also totally agree that it moves in phases. Sometimes I just do not have the inclination, other times I love to splurge the $$ and time on MYSELF for once. Does me good.

That said, I also agree that I always feel better if I am looking after my health in general. That then inspires me to get even more gorgeous!

SAHM/WAHM whatever........go with that you feel comfortable with at the time.

Peach Guest

Reading this thread I have just realised I might very well be a Slummy Mummy ... ARGGG!!! I havent had my hair cut or coloured for hmm 2 years and its almost down to my waist now. I have had 2 packets of hair colour sitting in the cupboard from before I was pregnant (I found out that I was preg and was scared to use it). I couldn't tell you where my make up is - its in some bag somewhere probably useless anyway! And somedays I rarely get out of my PJ's till the evening! I think I need one of those extreme makeovers!

Maybe it's time I made a bit of an effort .. poor DH.

Oh dear - I wore a black headband the other day to cover up my "vegemite stripe " but realised that it went back even further than the band itself anyway, so you could still see it! I saw of piccie of myself on the computer from a few years ago last night and have decided that getting my hair done every few months was fine and I was happy with it while I was at home, I would still make a teeny bit of effort with make up etc! but now that Im back at work I think I need to definately make more effort.....Mmmm OT sorry - not related to begin a SAHM although I have been up until last week! I wish Id done it sooner hough because I dont feel good about yself when I dont put in a bit of effort and if I wear no make up and trakkies every day.
    Last edited by Beach Mama; February 2nd, 2008 at 07:20 AM.